The world was shocked late this month when a lone man killed almost a hundred people in the country where the Nobel Peace Prize is handed out.dressed himself as a police officer and started shooting young people in an island off Oslo just hours after he triggered a bomb which caused major damage to the building where Norway’s Prime Minister houses his office.
The actions of Breivik may be shocking, but he is not the first man to do mass shootings and killings. Horrible events like these have happened since the 80s. Here is a timeline of past mass shootings that the world may or may not remember took place. Some of this information is courtesy of Reuters.
1. April 1982 - SOUTH KOREA - Police officer Woo Bum Kong went on a drunken rampage in Sang-Namdo carrying rifles and hand grenades. He killed 57 people and wounding 38 before blowing himself up.
2. Aug. 19, 1987 - BRITAIN - Michael Ryan, a 27-year-old gun fanatic rained terror through the English town of Hungerford where he killed 16 people and wounding 11 before shooting himself.
3. July 1989 - FRANCE - A French farmer shot and killed 14 people, which includes members of his family in the village of Luxiol. He was wounded and was captured by police.
4. Dec. 1989 - CANADA - A 25-year-old war movie fan with a grudge against women shot and killed 14 young women at the University of Montreal. He then killed himself.
5. Nov. 1990 - NEW ZEALAND - A gun-mad loner killed 11 men, women and children in a 24-hour wild killing spree in the tiny New Zealand seaside village of Aramoana. He was shot dead by police.
6. Sept. 1995 - FRANCE - A 16-year-old youth went on a rampage with a rifle in the town of Cuers. He killed 16 people and then shooting himself. This all started after he had an argument with his parents.
7. March 13, 1996 - BRITAIN - Thomas Hamilton burst into a primary school in the Scottish town of Dunblane and shot dead 16 children and their teacher before. He then killed himself.
8. April 28, 1996 - AUSTRALIA - Martin Bryant unleashed Australia's worst mass murder when he shot dead 35 people at the Port Arthur tourist site in the southern state of Tasmania.
9. April 1999 - USA - Two heavily-armed teenagers went on a rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, Denver. They shot 13 students and staff before taking their own lives.
10. July 1999 - USA - A gunman killed nine people at two brokerages in Atlanta. The shooting happened after apparently killing his wife and two children. He committed suicide five hours later.
11. June 2001 - NEPAL - Eight members of the Nepalese Royal family were killed in a palace massacre by Crown Prince Dipendra who later turned a gun on himself and died few days later. The death toll rose to 10 which included his younger brother.
12. April 26,- GERMANY - In Erfurt, eastern Germany, 19-year-old Robert Steinhauser opened fire after saying he was not going to take a maths test. He killed 12 teachers, a secretary, two pupils and a policeman at the Gutenberg Gymnasium. He then killed himself.
13. Oct. 2002 - USA - Johnand Lee Malvo killed 10 people by using sniper-style shots that terrorized the , area.
14. April 16, 2007 - USA - Virginia Tech, a university in Blacksburg, Virginia, became the site of the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history when a gunman killed 32 people and then himself.
15. Nov. 7, 2007 - FINLAND - Pekka-Eric Auvinen, a student at the Jokela High School near Helsinki, killed six fellow students, the school nurse and the principal and himself with a handgun.
16. Sept. 23, 2008 - FINLAND - Student Matti Saari opened fire in a vocational school in Kauhajoki in northwest Finland. He killed nine other students and one male staff member before shooting himself.
17. March 11, 2009 - GERMANY - A 17-year-old gunman dressed in black combat gear killed nine students and three teachers at a school near Stuttgart. He also killed one other person at a nearby clinic. He was later killed in a shoot-out with police which killed two additional passers-by and two policemen seriously injured. The death toll rose to 16 including the gunman.
18. June 2, 2010 - BRITAIN - Gunman Derrick Bird opened fire on people in towns across the rural county of Cumbria. He killed twelve people and injured 11. Bird also killed himself.
19. Aug. 30, 2010 - SLOVAKIA - A gunman shot six members of a Roma family and another woman to death in the Slovak capital Bratislava before killing himself. Fourteen people were wounded in the shooting.
20. April 9, 2011 - NETHERLANDS - Tristan van der Vlis opened fire in the Ridderhof mall in Alphen aan den Rijn, south of Amsterdam. He killed six before shooting himself.
21. July 22, 2011 - NORWAY - Police seize Anders Behring Breivik who killed at least 68 people at a youth summer camp of Norway's ruling political party, on the small, holiday island of Utoeya.