The Summer movie season is now in full swing, and this weekend saw the release of, Super 8. Could the newbie topple the mutants, pandas and drunks? Let's take a look.
1. Super 8 - The combination of Spielberg, Abrams and a kick-ass trailer, propelled the creature feature to top spot with a $37 million weekend haul. it'll be interesting to see how long it can hold on with more big releases on the horizon.
2. X-Men : First Class - Another solid weekend for the latest installment in the X-Men franchise. Its $25 million takes brings it domestic gross to just shy of the $100 million mark.
3. The Hangover Part II - Despite lukewarm reviews and complaints of too much similarity to the first, moviegoers continue to fork over their cash to watch the drunken shenanigans to the tune of $18.5 million. That amount propels the domestic gross to over $200 million. Anyone ready for a third hangover?
4. Kung Fu Panda 2 - The Jack Blacked voiced animated flick continued to perform well with a $16.6 million weekend. That takes it over the $125 million mark.
5. Pirates Of The Caribbean - On Stranger Tides - Everyone loves a drunk it would seem. Whether it be bachelor party dudes or pirates, alcohol fuelled behavior rules at the box office. The $10.8 million weekend takes Pirates over the $200 million mark, and there is already talk of a fifth installment....shiver me timbers!!
Total weekend ticket sales came in at a shade over $136 million, down 11% from the previous week.