Supporters of injured Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh fired shots into the air on Thursday to celebrate reports he would soon return to Yemen, which is torn by fighting between his backers and opponents.
"He has overcome the health difficulties after successful surgery to remove shrapnel ... Sources expected him to return soon after completing his recovery and treating some light surface burns," the government website 26 September said.
At present, Vice President Abdu RaboHadi "is the acting president in charge of the caretaker government during President Saleh's temporary medical leave."
The strike hit Al-Nahdayn Mosque in the presidential compound during Friday prayers, and the assault is under investigation by law enforcement officials and forensic specialists.
An imam and several guards were killed, and other senior officials, including the prime minister, were wounded and taken to Saudi Arabia for treatment.
Saleh, who has ruled the country for 33 years, has been a reliable US ally on the "war on terror".
said that the recent operations came nearly a year after they had been halted because of bad intelligence that had led to several civilian deaths.
According to the newspaper, Saleh had authorised American missions in Yemen in 2009, but has said publicly that all military operations were conducted by Yemeni troops.