in the Air: Dorjee Khandu and other Indian Politicians
Indian politicians are marked to have been tagged with tragedy in the air. Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu is the last and recent example. He was 56 when India found him dead in an area between Lobothang and Kyela in the mountainous tract of Arunachal Pradesh. Five others (Capt J S Babbar, Capt T S Mamik, Yeshi Choddak and Yeshi Lhamu and Tsewang Dhondup) were in the same helicopter and they shared the same fate. One single-engined EuroCopter AS350 B-3 Pawan Hans was carrying them and foul weather could be the menace. Dorjee Khandu had to use the chopper for location compulsion of Arunachal Pradesh which is amidst the mountains of the eastern Himalayas.
The government of India has so far failed to confirm death of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose in an aerial accident at Taihoku airport (1345). Netaji was one of the greatest of the freedom-fighters born in the soil of India. If his sad demise is ever established, he would be regarded as the first of the Indian politicians who lost their life in the plane crash.
A list has been submitted in the following lines, a list of the Indian political personalities who ended their life because of accident in the aerial transport:
1) 1973 Indian Airlines plane crash in the vicinity of New Delhi
Mohan Kumaramangalam of All India Congress died.
2) 1980 glider accident in Delhi
Sanjay Gandhi (younger son of, the then Prime Minister of India) died. He met with an accident when he was flying the glider.
3) 1994 Super-King aircraft crashed in Himachal Pradesh
Surendra Nath (the then Governor of Punjab) and nine members of his family died.
4) 2001 helicopter crash in Arunachal Pradesh
Natung, Education Minister of the same state, died.
5) 2001 Cessna aircraft crash in Uttar Pradesh
Madhavrao Scindia of All India Congress died.
6) 2002 Bell 206 helicopter crash in Andhra Pradesh
G M C Balayogi, Speaker of Lok Sabha and leader of Telugu Desham Party died.
7) 2004 helicopter crash in Meghalaya
Sangma, a minister of the same state died.
8) 2005 chopper crash near Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh
O.P.Jindal (Power Minister of Haryana and a reputed industrialist) died.
9) 2009 Bell 430 chopper crash in Andhra Pradesh
Y.S.R.Reddy, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, died.
10) 2011 EuroCopter AS350 B-3 Pawan Hans air crash in Arunachal Pradesh
Dorjee Khandu, Chief Minister of the same state, died.