Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Police have named three people suspects in the suicide bombing that happened in a mosque inside the compound of the Cirebon Police headquarters last April 15, a spokesman said.
"The three suspects are the suicide bomber, Muhammad Syarif, and two other persons, namely Arif and Basuki who are believed to have known about the bombing plan and supported it," National Police spokesman Senior Commissioner Boy Rafli Amar said here on Tuesday.
Boy said Syarif had died in the bombing that injured 30 people including the Cirebon police chief, Adjunct Senior Commissioner Herukoco.
Meanwhile, Basuki was detained after the police found four units of bombs, 40 books about Jihad and photos of military-like training in his father-in-law`s house in Cirebon district last Tuesday (April 19).
The spokesman said police took Arif under into custody because the man was suspected to have accompanied suicide bomber Muhammad Syarif to the Cirebon police headquarters on the day the bombing took place.
Earlier, the police confirmed that a man named Mohammad Syarif was the suicide bomber that set off a bomb at the Adz Zikro mosque in the compound of the headquarters of the Cirebon police on Friday (April 15) killing himself and wounding dozens of others including the chief of the Cirebon police city resort Adjunct Senior Commissioner Herukoco.
With the bomb strapped around his belly he entered the mosque and sat behind the police chief. Shortly after prayers began he detonated it. He died at the scene with his stomach destroyed.
Syarif proved to be one of five people the police had wanted in connection with vandalization at the Alfarmart shop in Cirebon district. Syarif and 11 others from a local mass organization in Cirebon were reported to have been involved in the vandalization of the Alfamart.
Thirty witnesses have been questioned so far including his wife, parents and younger brother but no indications have been found of their involvement in the bombing action in Cirebon.