Vijayawada, April 26 Five students died and 30 others fell sick due to food poisoning after having breakfast in a hotel at Mirjapuram under Nuzividu mandal of Krishna district on Tuesday.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the victims soon after eating “poori” developed nausea and began vomiting. The victims were rushed to hospitals in Nuzividu, Eluru and Vijawada. However, three of them died on the way and two others while being treated. Out of the 30 others who became ill, the condition of eight are stated to be critical. Among the deceased is the grand daughter of the hotel proprietor.
On receipt of the information, the district officials, including the Collector, rushed to the spot and seized the dishes prepared in the hotel.
Inquiries revealed that the hotel management procured the flour and oil from a ration shop. Officials are trying to ascertain whether the food poisoning occurred due to adulteration of the ingredients or due to stale food preparations. The officials also seized the flour and oil from the ration shop and sent samples to the laboratory for testing.