Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - 17 March 2011
You read that right. A customer of the “finger-licking good” Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet in Shah Alam found that out the hard way. Derek Teoh was at the outlet for lunch on Feb 25 and as he was about to bite into his Fish Donuts, he noticed the leg of a cockroach on it.
He said, "I was about to take a bite from my Fish Donuts when I noticed a cockroach leg stuck on top of it. Imagine that! My appetite was killed instantly."
The branch manager took the doughnuts away and offered Derek a new set but he was “no longer hungry”. Derek later wrote to KFC's corporate customer service and was told the next day that the incident would be investigated.
What happened next was totally unbecoming of a corporation like KFC. First, Derek received an email from KFC informing him that they had found nothing wrong. When Derek wrote on KFC's Facebook fanpage highlighting his experience, his post was deleted after a few hours and he was blocked from the page!
A spokesman for KFC Holdings (Malaysia) Bhd said that the company is committed to excellence in the highest food quality and service standards. But when asked to clarify on their standard operating procedure (SOP) on restaurant hygiene and cleanliness, the spokesman declined comment.
I wonder how Colonel Sanders would feel if he were alive today to know that the business he pioneered has reached such a state.