The Glorious Qur'an emphasises the fact that nothing happens in the universe without the knowledge, will and wisdom of the Creator. Earthquakes - like other natural disasters - are part and parcel of the Divine plan for punishing the ill - doers, testing the pious ones, and teaching the saved individuals the lesson of their lives. Unless taken in this context, human beings will never learn from their own mistakes or even from the mistakes of others. The only way of avoiding this and other disasters is heeding the Creator and living according to His guidance.The Glorious Quran addresses the subject of earthquakes in many places, and one chapter has the earthquake as its title, Surah 99:
2. And the earth throws up her burdens (from within),
3. And man cries (distressed): 'What is the matter with her?'-
4. On that Day will she declare her tidings:
5. For that thy Lord will have given her inspiration.
6. On that Day will men proceed in companies sorted out, to be shown the deeds that they (had done).
7. Then shall anyone who has done an atom's weight of good, see it!
8. And anyone who has done an atom's weight of evil, shall see it.