St. Louis Media Fail Reporting Accurate News On US Marshal Shooting

St. Louis Media Fail Reporting Accurate News On US Marshal Shooting

St Louis : MO : USA | Mar 08, 2011 at 2:22 PM PST
Views: Pending
Marshal shooting scene

It seemed like no one in the St. Louis, Missouri area could get their story straight Tuesday morning. A little before 7:00 a.m. a shooting on the 3100 block of Osage in south St. Louis injured two U.S. marshals and a St. Louis city police officer, we think. The initial reports that broke around 7:00 a.m. were that one U.S. marshal was shot and the 3100 block of Osage was closed off.

Around 7:10 a.m. police scanners confirmed that the gunmen was down, as in, shot down, as in, probably dead. Everything that followed the rest of the morning was in all sense of the words, a mess. At first it was reported one U.S. marshal was shot but the story quickly changed to three U.S. marshals were shot. The number then changed to two U.S. marshals and one St. Louis city police officer was shot.

KMOV News 4 reported between the time of the incident and 8:30 a.m. on their live broadcast, website and Twitter that one of the shooting victims was confirmed dead. After running with the death report for minutes on the live broadcast they retracted what they said claiming they mistook the word "graze" for "grave". Supposedly, the St. Louis police officer was grazed by a bullet around the shoulder area, not a deadly shot at all.

KSDK News Channel 5 also ran with the story that three U.S. marshals were shot on the 3100 block of Osage around 7:00 a.m. An hour later they changed their story to two U.S. marshals and one officer were victims. They got the story right about the officer not suffering life threatening injuries. KSDK wins for knowing the difference between the words "graze" and "grave". Around 10:00 a.m. KSDK broke during a live broadcast at a hospital where the marshals were undergoing surgery, that one of the U.S. marshals had died from his injuries. Soon after they apologized saying the marshal was still alive. Fox 2 and STL Daily also had conflicting reports during the morning about what happened.

It wasn't only television that had the story wrong, St. Louis' Phillips and Company on Y98 (98.1 FM) reported between 8:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. that a U.S. marshal was dead.

As of this afternoon, the reports are that one U.S. marshal is in critical condition, one is in fair condition and the St. Louis police officer has non life threatening wounds. The U.S. Marshals Service have apologized for the incorrect information that one of the marshals had passed away. The gunman's name was Carlos Boles. It is not known if he died from a self inflicted wound or if he was shot by police.

Currently, these are the headlines this afternoon about the U.S. marshals on various St. Louis media outlets:

"U.S. Marshal Clings To Life After Being Shot By Suspect" - Fox 2 St. Louis

"Suspect in US Marshals shooting dies" - KSDK

"Suspect who shot 2 U.S. Marshals and St. Louis police officer is dead" - KMOV

1 of 1
US Marshal Shooting
St. Louis media went all morning on-air with conflicting reports of a shootout in south county.
Caitlin Tadlock is based in St Louis, Missouri, United States of America, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear

News Stories

  • Marshal, suspect shot dead in St. Louis

      United Press International
    A U.S. marshal and a suspect were shot and killed Tuesday and another marshal and a city officer were wounded at a south St...Louis police officer were shot while trying to make an arrest at the residence, police said...Marshals Service Office...
  • US marshals name suspect in St. Louis shootout

      AP Online
    Marshals Service is identifying the man who was killed after opening fire on law enforcement agents in St. Louis as Carlos Boles. Eastern Missouri's U.S. marshal William Sibert says Boles began shooting as marshals and police attempted...
  • US man dies after police shootout

    One man dead and three officers shot Police did not immediately identify the suspect, named by relatives as Carlos Boles A suspect has died following a gunfight with police in which two US marshals and a St Louis police officer were injured.
  • 3 US Marshals shot at home in south St. Louis

      Sacramento News
    Three US Marshals were shot at a home in the 3100 block of Osage in south St. Louis and a suspect who was inside the home has been shot, according to the St...Police have the area surrounded with guns drawn and have several streets in the area...
  • Two U.S. marshals, one cop shot in St. Louis

      Chicago Tribune
    Vera Culley Web Producer ktvi-us-marshal-shooting-osage-st-louis-city-030811 ST...Louis City police officer have been shot in the 3100 block of Osage in St...A police spokes person says the officer, who works with the U.S...The two Marshals were...
  • St. Louis police: 2 U.S. marshals, 1 officer shot

      The Washington Times
    Two federal marshals and a police officer were shot Tuesday during a gunfight that left another man dead at a home, St .  Louis  police said. The police confirmed in a statement that a male suspect is deceased but did not explain how the man was...





More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report

Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.