The role of an all-rounder is always been praised in the cricket. Not only the test matches but the shorter version of cricket like T20 and ODI too demanded a god all-rounder in the sides, and not many teams have the luxury of having a all-rounder in their line-up.
Term all rounder strike the names of Imran Khan,Kapil Dev,Richard Hadlee,Ian Botham,Gary Sobers and new generation great Jacques Kallis. But, why didn’t the name of or came across your mind? This is the pity, no wicket keeper batsman with exceptional batting talent make up the list of great all rounder.
Anyway, I am not here to put any doubt or challenge to the cricket experts, but to discuss the role of wicket-keeper batsman and importance for all the teams who are hoping to take home the cricket world cup 2011.
All talented wicket-keeper batsman are found of ICC cricket world cup, remember Romesh Kaluwitharana? Yes, the same guy who redefined the role of wicket-keeper for the shorter version of cricket i.e. ODI. It was he and Jayasuriya who helped Sri Lanka won World Cup. So, which team is going into the 2011 cricket world cup with the best available wicket-keeper batsman?
Here is the list of 5 top keeper-batsmen who we will see in action during the 2011 WC:
5. Matt Prior/Brandon McCullum – I don’t have much to say as their records are almost looking identical. McCullum though have better reputation but Matt Prior is trying to fit in the role of batsman and have little success with it, his decent performance against the Australian side is a example of this. On the other hand Brandan McCullum though going through a rough patch, we still remember his batting during the 1st IPL season, and he too will love to bat on subcontinent wickets where no fears of that extra bounce during first 15 overs.
4. – The not so young wicket keeper who got his chance after the retirement of Adam Gilchrist is making bowlers work hard for his wicket. Not so long ago he shifted to the role of opener and has some decent form behind him going into the 2011 WC. He can be dangerous as he got the ability to hit the ball a long way and play some unorthodox shorts to make the front line bowlers to put some thinking on their line and length while bowling to him.
3. AB DeVillers – He took over the role of wicket keeper batsman from seasonal Mark Boucher and fill in the shoes super fit! We can compare his with any of the good batsman round and with powerful hitters. I have seen him hitting ball long way and changing the course of the game in few over. When not behind the wickets you can put this guy anywhere in the field and he is just brilliant in out fielding too. South Africa do have a lot of expectations from him, he could be the guy to help them win their first ever cricket world cup.
2. Kumar Sangakara – The talented Sri Lankan skipper is number 2 in my list of best 5 wicket-keeper batsmen going in the live 2011 ICC cricket world cup. A true star and his batting figures as consistent during his cricket career till now. Though when he breaks through to the highest level his wicket keeping skills were under a lot of talks but as he got exposure and experience of international cricket he has done a really great job. Extra responsibility of captaincy may hurt a bit during the mega cricket event but we all hopeful to see him in his best.
1. MS Dohni – Indian cricket team finally found this long hair guy from Ranchi when a lot of experiments were going on with a lot of wicketkeepers to find a wicket-keeper batsman with decent batting ability. But at the starting of his ODI career few big scores including century helped him gain a permanent place in the Indian cricket side. Since then he has not looked back, his batting has improved over the period of time along with his wicket keeping skills. He took over the captaincy role and he offered more than what selectors and Indian cricket fans would have demanded, today one of the most successful captain in Indian cricket history and have won matched and series in the places where no other Indian cricket captain has ever achieved. No.1 in my list of wicket-keeper batsman on line for 2011 cricket world cup.
To be very frank I am a bit of double mind when rating the position of No.2 and No.1 as there is not much difference....