Philippine Red Cross (PRC) Secretary General Gwendolyn Pang said on Sunday, January 09, that about 271 people sustained injuries during the Black Nazarene procession from Rizal Park to Quiapo church. Comparing the number of injuries in 2010, Pang said the 2011 seems to be going higher.
In 2010, the PRC gave treatment to approximately 450 people out of an estimated three to four million devotees for the whole day but the 2011 figure of 271 in the first four hours of the procession was already half of the 2010 figure, she said.
Pang noted that judging from their treated patients, this year, the devotees seemed younger. They have treated an 8-year-old, an 18-year-old, and a 21-year-old. “Last year, our initial cases were senior citizens who could not handle the procession,” she said.
The Manila Police District (MPD) expects the number of people this year will reach six million. However, the MPD Tactical Operations Center, as of 12 p.m. Sunday, has estimated that only around 500,000 have joined the procession.