of thorns, a new novel got my attention recently and I had the enough luck to meet its creator and make a dialogue with her. Actually , let's say that the interview was interesting and quiet. the Egyptian novelist characterized by calm , cultured, self-confidence as also her belief in her pencil. All of these qualities do not meet unless , this writer respects the pen and her readers . So this is the interview that I started by asking :
• At first, how can Abeer Almadawy describe herself?
- oh this is very hard question, but you can say I'm simple person, love life strongly and defend in my presence in it.
· Why did you choose to be a novelist?
- Because, it is my dream. As well I have thoughts, love to share with people.
• Embrace of thorns is a wonderful humanitarian novel, where you want to instill the value of love as the basis of any structure for the life. Also you went on to reassure that the value of love should come before the free choice, is this true?
- Well in the beginning I want to clarify that love is the core value in our life. So it may never be manipulated or excluded from it. For this you can say when building any human being, the first pillar which should be taken, is the value of love. This is because it will allow him in the realm of life, to be aware of the human consciousness, which will appear after that in his choices.
• In the novel Embrace of Thorns, the heroin Ms.Sahar characterizes by overlooking with special humanitarian and who goes near from her, will discover that she is a model for the modern woman. In your opinion, what did this lady need to live happily and build her own life?
- Ms. Sahar originated in a house empty of love and behinds its doors, the flames of differences and the confliction between her parents, was enough reason to plant the tree of fear inside her. So she repressed her desires. She could not benefit from her high education and has been trapped in illusions and dreams for a considerable period. Till her parents forced her to marry without her choice. This fear after that prevented her to take any decision that
Could fit in her life.
Sahar saw the futility of her husband and his betrayal however, she has been unable to leave him due to her fear. When she met the only love in her life through the French poet, she abandoned it because of her fear. The fear was always the reason for blocking the follow-up of her life until she got her sad end.
The character of the French poet in the novel, couldn't have a better role to rescue this lady from her tragic? And why you allowed with this sad end to this lady?
- Luk is a lovely human, very clear man and he loved sahar truly. His problem is in her fear as well as in her society, he doesn't like to force her to go and marry him. So here what's the difference between the others and him? For this he wished if she can be free and have the power to free herself by her own.
About her end, it had to be like that. I want to say that human can't live without love, because it will create inside her the beast which is called "Fear", which will destroy all the life till the end.
·• Can I confirm that the character of the spiritual father whom embodied in Uncle Fakhry, inclined to imitate the wise figures inworks of the great English writer , William Shakepear, Can I say ,you are affected by him?
- I have studied the works of the great British writer William, especially in the college where I majored in English literature. Thus I can admit that I love this literature and I feel it inner me, and follow this tradition from the Father of English literature "William Shakespeare". By the way, this kind of personality, you will find frequently in all the novels which I wrote?
* The Novel "embrace of thorns" touched an important subject about the disobeying children, who do not appreciate the value of sacrifice and used to abuse of it, is this symbolic of our modern life that was gripped by selfishness and the material at the expense of any Values?
- I have indicated to the cruelty of children as an extension of the severity of the parents. We must notice that family in the present day, makes from the selfishness material ,a value and greated it. So the natural answer from the children ,must be with such violence and cruelty. At the end of the novel the herion" Ms. Sahar said " I can't blame them for their cruelty, they did not grow up in an atmosphere of love, and they just saw the distorting face of it.
* Mrs Almadaway , do you know Chilean Novelists and read for them ?
Of course I know many of them , such as Roberto Bolaño Ávalos and Marcela Serrano. In Egypt , Writers, and novelists are very interested with Latin American Culture and we follow their activites and very proud to see and meet with these big names in the literary world especially at the country of Chile.
Actually I have to point that the novel " Embrace of Thorns" , could draw a window to the spirit of a modern woman. in spite of she took some of her rights, she still live under a masculinity world . Which belongs to old habits of traditional.
At the end I must renew my greeting to the novelist Abeer Almadawy and to the reader who took some of his times.
Edit by: Roberto Taneqo
You can know more news about the novelist Abeer Almadawy through her links down: