As one military group moves out another civilian group moves into Iraq
Linkedin

As one military group moves out another civilian group moves into Iraq

Washington : DC : USA | Aug 19, 2010 at 12:58 PM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
The Financial Winners in Iraq: Private Military Contractors

While the last of the combat troops withdraw from Iraq there is plenty of coverage. However there seems little news about the army of civilians and contractors that will move into Iraq in the near future. Of course over 50,000 troops will remain in Iraq until October 2011. The State Dept. will then assume responsibility for training Iraqi police. This task will largely be carried out by contractors.

Even though Gates claims he will cut private contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan by ten per cent the State Dept. is planning to more than double the number of security guards it hires to about 7,000.

Defending five fortified compounds across the country, the security contractors would operate radars to warn of enemy rocket attacks, search for roadside bombs, fly reconnaissance drones and even staff quick reaction forces to aid civilians in distress, officials said.

Some analysts think that complete withdrawal of troops in 2011 is not realistic and that there must be negotiations with the Iraqis to keep more troops in the country. However the same analysts claim that right now is not a good time to discuss such matters!

Preparations for the civilian takeover have been going on for months with numerous tasks now performed by the military being phased out or assigned to contractors or others. As one would expect there will be a big increase in equipment.

To move around Iraq without United States troops, the State Department plans to acquire 60 mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicles, called MRAPs, from the Pentagon; expand its inventory of armored cars to 1,320; and create a mini-air fleet by buying three planes to add to its lone aircraft. Its helicopter fleet, which will be piloted by contractors, will grow to 29 choppers from 17.

There are to be 6 to 7 thousand private security contractors. This is bound to cause conflict with the Iraqi government which has been very critical of private security firms. However, the contractors would not have special immunity as previously and would have to be licensed by the government.

The costs of all these new services will be significant. The cost of building and sustaining two embassy branch offices - one in Kirkuk and the other in Mosul - and of hiring security contractors, buying new equipment and setting up two consulates in Basra and Erbil is about $1 billion. It will cost another $500 million or so to make the two consulates permanent. And getting the police training program under way will cost about $800 million.

The U.S. taxpayer will obviously be investing money in Iraq for some time to come if not indefinitely. But then there will be new jobs for private contractors! Just think of it as a stimulus program.

1 of 1
Withdrawal from Iraq
Members of the last American combat brigade in Iraq crossed into Kuwait early on Thursday as the military neared its Aug. 31 deadline to end combat operation
northsunm32 is based in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Civilians to take lead after exit

      The Hutchinson News
    As the last U.S. military combats troops left Iraq Wednesday, the Obama administration is planning a remarkable civilian effort, buttressed by a small army of contractors, to fill the void...With no U.S. soldiers to defuse sectarian tensions in...
  • US to rely on contractors in Iraq

      Sydney Morning Herald
    The newspaper said the contractors would be deployed to defend five fortified compounds that will be left behind as US combat forces exit Iraq and the US mission switches from a military-led to a civilian-headed operation. Citing unnamed...
  • U.S. to Double Civilian Force in Iraq After Withdrawal

      Fox News
    FoxNews.com As the last brigade of U.S. combat troops began to leave Iraq Thursday the Obama administration planned to double the number of private security guards it has in the country to fill the void. President Barack Obama had imposed an end-of-...
  • Private Contractors to Lead Security

    As American soldiers exit from Iraq, it will be up to private security forces to fill the void...The Sydney Morning Herald said that  the last U.S. combat brigade left at dawn on Thursday as about 56,000 U.S. soldiers are left to handle support roles.
  • Civilians to Take U.S. Lead After Military Leaves Iraq

      The New York Times
    With no American soldiers to defuse sectarian tensions in northern Iraq, it will be up to American diplomats in two new $100 million outposts to head off potential confrontations between the Iraqi Army and Kurdish pesh merga forces. To protect the...
  • Time to tally cost as US combat troops exit Iraq

      Sydney Morning Herald
    The last US combat brigade has filed out of Iraq, seven years and five months after coalition forces invaded the country in March 2003. Their departure, into neighbouring Kuwait, accelerates the withdrawal promised by President Barack Obama on taking...

Blogs

 >

Images

 >
 

Videos

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.