Aspen Carbon Monoxide Deaths Lead To Charges
Linkedin

Aspen Carbon Monoxide Deaths Lead To Charges

Aspen : CO : USA | Jul 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
DA Wants Grand Jury Investigation Of CO Deaths

Two County Staff Among Three Charged In Deaths In World Famous Resort Town

The deaths of four members of a Denver family in a home just east of Aspen during the Thanksgiving weekend two years ago has resulted in the indictments of three people, including a building inspector and building plans’ inspector.

Aspen media reported the trio also includes a contractor.

The Aspen Daily News reports the trio also includes a contractor.

The claim is that Parker Lofgren, 39, his wife, Caroline, 42, their children, 10-year-old Owen and 8-year-old Sophie, were killed by the colorless gas leaking from a snowmelt system. It also is odorless, making it even more difficult to detect.

The deaths led to a campaign that resulted in a Colorado requiring most homes to be fitted with carbon monoxide detectors. News reports said county ordinances required a carbon detector in the home at 10 Popcorn Lane.

“We are pleased with the outcome and certainly appreciative of the time and attention the grand jury paid to this. Nothing will bring them back. But we think it’s really important to expose what happened to hold those who were accountable responsible,” Hildy Feuerbach, Caroline Lofgren’s sister, told the Aspen Daily News.

The Aspen Times reported that Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis questioned the indictments, saying his deputies had thoroughly investigated the deaths and found no criminal conduct.

Meanwhile, a civil suit is being prepared that could name Pitkin County as a defendant.

Marlin Brown, owner of Roaring Fork Plumbing and Heating, was charged with four felony charges of criminally negligent homicide.

Erik Peltonen, who retired as a Pitkin County building inspector after the deaths, faces the same charges.

Both men were released on $11,000 bail.

Brian Pawl, who remains a building plans inspector for the county, was indicted on misdemeanor charges.

1 of 1
Lofgren Family
Parker and Caroline Lofgren, and their two children, Owen and Sophie, were killed by carbon monoxide leaking from a rooftop system designed to melt snow.
RobertWeller991 is based in Denver, Colorado, United States of America, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 

Images

 >
 
  • Parker and Caroline Lofgren, and their two children, Owen and Sophie, were killed by carbon monoxide leaking from a rooftop system designed to melt snow.

    Lofgren Family

Videos

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Related People

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.