13 suggestions for President Obama to put into play on July 4, 2010, which is Independence Day in the United States of America.
1) Declare July 4 as a mandatory 12-hour day for every federal or state government employee in the nation starting at 0600. Brief the nation at 0600 with the agenda for the day and again at 1800 with the results and accomplishments of those serving the American people.
2) Recall General Petraeus from Afghanistan, put him in charge of securing the USA-Mexico border, and immediately provide him all the support he requests from both the federal and private sectors. Set a timetable for effectively securing this border by the end of 2010. If General Petraeus can go before the American people and profess that the statistics and answers reported in the discussion below are accurate, after taking his full assessment, then your vision to promote immigration reform prior to securing the border will have great merit.
3) Set January 1, 2011 as the launch date for intensive discussions on comprehensive immigration reform and give both houses of Congress one month to pass their bills so that there is something on the President’s desk on February 1, 2011.
4) Explain to the American people that Arizona’s situation is a product of failed federal enforcement of Immigration laws. Provide context of the changes in Mexico and how those changes are adversely influencing the flow of illegal immigrants into the USA and the negative impact that is having. Put the broader issues of national security to the citizenry of America and clearly state that I respect the sovereignty of the USA and its right to have borders.
5) Clearly state empathy for those against the Arizona Immigration Law yet as the Leader of this country, even if I was to feel that it was unconstitutional, which I don’t, implore any and all protest organizers against SB1070 and/or the upcoming Arizona law to read the Federal Immigration law and the Arizona law. State that it is their right to assemble and protest yet this can be done in a respectful manner with the greater good in mind. Establish strict guidelines and punishments for any groups, leaders or protesters that violate peaceful demonstration and have security on call to make arrests and levy fines of up to $10,000 for each violation. State your opposition to all boycotts against Arizona; instead iterate that Americans and Illegal Aliens should rather be thankful to Arizonians for creating the impetus for long overdue immigration reforms, which will be the first priority of 2011, after securing the border in 2010. This subsequently sends a clear message that their voices can be heard in the elections of November 2010 and the signing into law of comprehensive immigration reform legislation in February 2011.
6) Signal the death of the IRS, as we know it. Draw down the IRS by the end of 2010 to the barebones necessary to monitor and distribute one tax, a consumption tax. This consumption tax would be a 10% state tax and a 10% federal tax for every business or private purchase, which is a combined flat consumption tax of 20%.
7) Implore the two richest men in the world to lead a team of economic advisors to create a combined Mexican/USA jobs, education and technology program.
8) Appoint Newt Gingrich to lead a coalition of senior politicians and private sector business leaders to promote and lead job solutions in every state in the union.
9) Sign an executive order on term limits on all congressional and senate seats not to exceed 8 yrs of service to our country.
10) Appoint Bobby Jindal in charge of the Oil Spill recovery effort in the Gulf of Mexico and allow all international help to respond. When the flow is effectively stopped, lead the international call for that same coalition of support to clean up similar devastation caused by oil spills in other parts of the world such as in Nigeria.
11) Have Vice Presidentbrief the nation every day on the progress of the top ten priorities America is facing.
12) Televise a full cabinet meeting and show the nation’s leaders at work to include an unclassified portion of all areas covered to include the threats that the United States is facing.
13) Institute a draft registration and require a 1 yr mandatory service commitment for every Male American with voluntary openings for Females to serve, in a to be determined, cross-section of federally endorsed programs. This does not require military service, but that would be one option and the commitment would have to be fulfilled between the ages of 18-25. This would promote a paradigm shift and correctly place the value of being an American foremost, before any ethnic identity division, which is perfectly fine and should be something to take pride in, yet secondary to clearly stating your allegiance to the United States of America.