Detroit,MI- The raid that brought nationwide controversy was the one that lead to the killing of 7 year old Aiyana Stanley-Jones, from Detroit. The A&E show, “The first 48” name has surfaced again. This time, the show “The first 48” name is connected with a previously written and highly profiled story when the 8 year old girl from Detroit called asking for help after her parents were killed. In that story the 8 year old called 911, only to be told ‘Stop playing on the telephone’ by the dispatcher.
In a lawsuit filed by a Oak Park resident Carla Wallace, the shows filming crew was named as being along with the police that threw a flash-bang grenade into her home. The complainant stated, on March 2, 2010, a raid on her home by city police -- with a TV camera crew in tow -- involved a flash-bang grenade thrown through the front window.
Carla Wallace described the raid as being similar to a fatal police raid in Detroit nearly two months later in which 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones was fatally shot by police. Detroit police officers raiding a house on Beverly Street in Oak Park on March 2 also were seeking a murder suspect, according to the suit. Detroit homicide officers also used the flash-bang grenade -- "unnecessarily," according to the suit -- and had in tow a camera crew from the A&E network program “The First 48.”
“Fortunately no one was hurt in the raid on my house, but yeah, I've had a lot of sleepless nights since then -- especially after what we saw happen in Detroit," Wallace said. "See how you feel after a grenade is tossed inside your home. And there has been damage to me and to my home.”
Wallace filed a suit against Detroit on allegations that the city has failed to comply with the Michigan of Information Act. Wallace alleged she's sought information about the raid since April 19 but was denied on claims it would “interfere with law enforcement proceedings” -- even though her brother has since been arrested and is being prosecuted for murder.
Wallace brother, Derrick Dennard Smith, 42, connected with the March 1 double slaying of Monica Botella and her boyfriend Purcell Carson, both 26, who were killed while their two daughters hid in an upstairs bathroom. One of the girls, age 8, made a 911 call about the killings that resulted in the discipline of a dispatcher whose response to the girl drew criticism.
Smith was not found at the Oak Park home but was tracked down to Gardena, Calif., where U.S. Marshals arrested him on March 19. Detroit Mayor, has ordered the discontinuation of reality TV shows with any city department until further notice.