The chief eyewitness to the genocide says his orders came directly from the son of the Governor himself
Maguindanao – Known only as “Boy,” the man who was part of the 100 armed death squad sent to liquidate the entire Mangudadatu family and everyone else in the convoy, is “under the employ of Andal Ampatuan Jr., and that he was going to be paid to participate in Monday’s killings,” Marga Ortigas, the Al-Jazeera correspondent who ran the exclusive report, told ABS-CBN News Channel.
Ampatuan Jr. is the mayor of Datu Unsay town and the son of Ampatuan Sr., the Governor of Maguindanao. A member of the Mangudadatu family had expressed interest in running for governor in the coming 2010 elections.
“Datu Andal himself said, he said to us: Anyone from the Mangudadatu clan – women and children – should be killed,” Boy revealed. “We don’t ask why, we just followed orders.”
As for the murder of the 27 journalists covering the filing of candidacy ofMangudadatu – “That too was ordered by Datu Andal,” says Boy, “because they didn’t want any evidence left behind.”
The members of the convoy – 57 bodies have been recovered so far but there are still unaccounted for – were blockaded, abducted, raped, mutilated, murdered and buried.
But “We didn’t get to finish, which is why the excavator was left there,” says Boy (See also “To Probe Or Not To Probe The Backhoe”).
They weren’t able to finish because “Someone called and said soldiers were on their way,” Boy revealed further. “I feel they have connections among soldiers.”