writer : Jet Claveria
The government ‘s relief caravan is set to embark this week to the Ilocos region, Cagayan Valley, Cordillera Administrative Region and Southern Luzon .
Executive Secretaryannounced this during a press briefing in Malacañang today even as he stressed that the government is more than ever prepared for the next weather disturbance that is expected to swirl into the Philippine area of responsibility this weekend.
The relief food packs and clothing will be unloaded at the headquarters of local disaster coordinating councils for eventual distribution to residents displaced by flooding and landslides.
“We are always on the alert and confident that with what happened with Ondoy and Pepeng, our radar screen is on preparation and mitigation measures to prevent further loss of lives and properties,” he said.
He said rescue, relief and mitigating measures are already in place because of the government’s preparation for typhoon “Ramil” that did not hit Northern Luzon last week.
“All rescue and mitigating equipment are now in Luzon,” he said.
The PAGASA said the weather disturbance might hit land on Saturday or Sunday and was threatening the same parts of Luzon that were battered by strong typhoons this month