Nigella Lawson is seeking a divorce from her millionaire art-collector hubby after pictures showing him physically attacking her at the famous Scott’s Restaurant in Mayfair was splashed all over, say media reports.
The photographs published last Sunday show Charles Saatchi, 70, repeatedly putting his hands around Nigella’s throat during an argument. A shocking episode, the celebrity TV chef has, so far, chosen to remain mum.
However, since then Nigella's husband - a former advertising mogul - has accepted a police caution for assault over the incident which he has tried to underplay as a “playful tiff,” reports Digital Spy.
Latest reports say Nigella, 53, has decided to end her decade-long marriage. The couple had been longtime pals who decided to get together after the domestic goddess’ first husband, writer John Diamond, died of throat cancer.
A close aide revealed Nigella is preparing for a split from Charles, with neither of them trying to save their marriage. He told The Sunday People: "Her heart is bleeding right now. She wants out.”
The same source says neither Nigella nor Charles is “interested in counseling or trying to save the marriage. It seems they're done and she is broken and desolate."
A separation agreement is to be drawn up soon, with the proceedings expected to be finalized in two years. One insider believes the end to the couple’s relationship would come as a "relief" for Nigella.
According to him, while this is not how Nigella would have liked her marriage to end, yet she realizes it was the “tipping point.” The friend revealed their marriage had been under strain for some time, but the throttling episode was the last straw.
"If anything it is a relief for her that it could all be over very soon. There's a sense she has already moved on in her own head….Rather than dwelling on the past she is already thinking about life without him," opined the insider.
Any prior hint of disharmony within the couple’s marriage can be gauged by this interview Nigella gave in 2007. Lawson, speaking about their contrasting temperaments, described Charles as an “exploder” while calling herself a “festerer.”
She said: “I’ll go quiet when he explodes, and then I am a nest of horrible festeringness.”
Meanwhile the lady has already left her husband’s home and moved into a rented Mayfair apartment. On Friday she was spotted without her wedding ring on a day out.
If the separation turns nasty, the TV chef could lose a large portion of her £20 million fortune as the majority of her fame and wealth have accrued while being wedded to Saatchi.
Reportedly the gorgeous lady is using the shoulder of “Spooks” star Paul Rhys, 49 for support. Both of celebrities have lost partners to cancer and that makes them kind of "relate" to each other.
"Paul can relate to Nigella in a way only someone who has experienced bereavement can. They get each other completely. He is a tower of strength to her on occasions," said a friend.
* Other links embedded in the report
Other related Entertainment news: