Some thoughts about the Filipino public school teacher, his/her portfolio and performance
Alfredo B. Ancheta
Anchor for Allvoices
The teacher as a human being:
- Continuously grows not in height and in size but in knowledge, skills, attitudes, competence and wisdom.
- Listens to any kind of ideas from all directions. There are teachers who have Good Listening Attitudes (GLA). Similarly, there are teachers who have Bad Listening Attitudes (BLA). Likewise, there are teachers who have No Listening Attitude (NLA). And lastly, there are teachers who have No Attitudes (NA).
- Teacher is a respectable and dignified person with no dignified salary.
Operationally, the Filipino public school teacher is:
- An employee of the Philippines Government. As an employee, teacher is responsible and accountable for the performance and non-performance of his/her job.
- Implements vision, mission, goals and objectives of Philippine Education.
- Developer of Human Resources of the nation for development , progress and prosperity.
- Moulder of today’s youth;
The Portfolio of a Filipino public school teacher:
- It is a comprehensive record of a teacher’s Performance in accordance with a Competency Based-Performance Appraisal System for Teachers (CB-PAST) and Teacher’s Individual Plan for Professional Development (IPPD) for a particular School Year.
- It is a compilation of relevant evidences of accomplishments pursuant to a CB-PAST and IPPD for a particular School Year.
- It is an official set of documents of a teacher’s Performance for a particular School Year.
The Performance of a Filipino public school teacher:
1. It is a consideration for a job well done.
2. It is a token in recognition of conscious and deliberate efforts.
3. It is a reflection of a teacher’s personality.
4. It is the gauge/measure of a teacher’s ability and competence.
5. Performance is what the Teacher is.
Some ideas herein presented may also be true to other teachers anywhere in the world.
ALFREDO B. ANCHETA, Master Teacher-II
Principal or School Master Eligible & Citizen Writer