The Trayvon Martin shooting case hearings are still underway and latest evidence released by George Zimmerman's lawyers show that the teen was angry on the night he was killed by Zimmerman.
It has been more than a year since Trayvon Martin was killed by George Zimmerman and still a decision on the case is pending. Since Zimmerman was arrested, hearings have been going on to determine what the motive behind his killing was. George Zimmerman's attorneys maintain that their client shot the teen in self-defense, whereas prosecutors are alleging that this was a hate crime.
Attorneys for George Zimmerman say that some text messages have been drawn from Trayvon Martin's cell phone, showing that the 17-year-old was arguing with a friend and that he was very “angry” on the day he was shot and killed. These text messages have not been released yet and it is on the judge to decide whether they will formulate part of evidence in the case.
“This is relevant to Mr. Martin’s overall demeanor that day and relevant to his emotional state,” a new court filing by the defense team reads, according to a report by nbcnews.com. The filing goes on to say the messages “may assist the jury in understanding why Trayvon Martin chose to hide and then confront George Zimmerman rather than simply going home.”
Currently, the case is revolving around the admissibility of character evidence related to Martin, who died on February 26, 2012. His death ignited a national debate about race, guns and Florida's expansive self-defense laws.
George Zimmerman, 29, is accused of second-degree murder in Martin's death, but has pleaded not guilty. Zimmerman says that he resorted to self-defense after Martin punched and beat his head to the ground after they crossed paths inside a gated community in Sanford, Fla., that night.
Earlier this week, Zimmerman's lawyers released evidence obtained from Martin's cell phone, including two pictures of a handgun and text messages that appear to refer to an organized fight and smoking marijuana.
"He got mo hits cause in da 1st round," Martin says in a November 2011 message, apparently referring to a fight. "He had me on da ground nd I couldn’t do ntn."
Meanwhile, the prosecutors have asked the court to disallow text messages and other materials related to Martin's life to be presented as evidence because, according to them, they are irrelevant to the circumstances surrounding his death.