Did you know that:
- More than 35% consumers across the globe now prefer to pay for their purchases through smartphones?
- Nearly 90% of smartphone owners use their phones throughout the day, which means they can be targeted with ads and special offers during all those hours?
Mobile websites are no longer something you develop as an afterthought. Indeed, in a few years from now, these sites might be the only way you can reach your consumers. Besides, come to think of it, mobile websites do offer quite a few advantages that your desktop business website simply won’t be able to offer. Some of these include:
- Inexpensive and quick to develop: Mobile websites cost little to develop, and may even cost less than some desktop websites, if you use a free-of-cost content management system like Drupal. Some CMS packages even let you port your existing desktop website directly to its mobile version. That means you can have your site up and running in a matter of hours, with just a few clicks!
- Excellent reach due to mobile SEO: Mobile versions of popular search engines like Google crawl through and index your mobile site, just like their desktop counterparts. This means if you optimize your mobile website for search engines, it will gain excellent reach among your target audience. This, in turn, will bring more prospective customers to your website, thereby increasing your chances of getting more sales.
- Mobile site URLs can be integrated easily into promotional media: Mobile sites typically have much shorter URLs than those developed for desktop web. As such, you can embed these links easily into SMS messages and QR (Quick Response) codes. In this way, you can attract more visitors to your website. For instance, you can create QR code leading to your website and have it printed on your product packages. Anyone scanning the QR code would automatically be taken to your mobile website.
- Easy to run for long periods of time: Mobile websites require little server space. As such, you can run a mobile site economically for years, and update it periodically with fresh content. It would still take a very long time, before you even start noticing the amount you have to spend, in order to keep the website running.
Of course, since there are so many advantages of mobile websites, it is only fair that they should also come with their unique set of problems, right? Indeed, there are quite a few precautions that you need to take, in order to ensure visitors like to browse through your mobile website. Failing to do so will likely result in visitors avoiding your site, which is definitely something you don’t wish to see. Here are a few of those:
- Make the navigation an absolute no-brainer: Mobile devices typically have small real estate and as such, navigation has to be extremely simple and easy to use. If a visitor has to spend 5 minutes trying to figure how to reach the product section from the homepage, you can be almost sure of losing that visitor permanently.
- Put in more text and less graphics: Mobile sites need to open quickly. As such, you need to have more plain text and less graphical elements, in order to ensure that visitors do not get bored waiting for the site to open.
- Invest in SEO: Mobile websites benefit from search engine optimization, just like desktop sites. Make sure you do not skimp on this expense, since it will directly affect how much traffic you are likely to attract to your mobile site.
Wish to earn more revenue from your business website? Make a mobile version of it today, and have it optimized for search engines. This will benefit your business for years to come, require very little expense and offer excellent ROI.
About: John Murphy has been developing mobile websites for almost a decade now. In his spare time, he also writes articles on the usefulness of such sites.