Blake Fielder-Civil has revealed in an interview that he was responsible for first introducing his ex-wife,, to heroin. Talking about his life with the late singer on Jeremy Kyle’s show, Blake admitted that he believes the drug had contributed to Amy losing control of her life.
Blake was joined on Wednesday morning's episode by his mother, Georgette, and his girlfriend, Sarah Aspin, who is pregnant with the couple's second child.
Recalling the night when Amy Winehouse, who died aged 27 in July 2011, tried the substance for the first time, Blake said, “I'd taken it about three or four times, we were in a hotel in east London and I think I had about £10 of heroin with me, which is something I used to do after a club.”
He continued, “I was smoking it on foil and she said, ‘Can I try some?’ I think I might have put up a weak resistance, the fact is whatever I said she did end up having some.”
Blake went on to say that he regrets taking drugs with Amy and feels guilty about her tragic death. He added that when she died he lost his “best friend.”
He revealed that the first time Amy tried heroin was “around two months” before they tied the knot in Miami in May 2007, but it took some time for her to get addicted.
He said, “I've admitted that I was there when Amy had (heroin) for the first time, it was my doing, I don't think she'd ever experienced it without me ... the thing with heroin is you don't take it once and get a dependency straight away it can take quite a while to be build up a dependency.”
He continued, “We smoked, she never injected it, I did inject eventually but not with Amy, after the relationship ended. We were using it once a week for about two to three weeks, to then twice a week and then it gradually built up like that.”
Asked if he wishes he'd never introduced Amy to heroin, Blake replied, “That goes without saying, of course. I have to be really conscious about what I say because I don't want it to seem that I'm shirking responsibility.”
“The fact is that of course I regret it; not only just because of the damage it's caused Amy, and the loss of her life and the damage to her family, but also to my family and also to me. We've all gone through this addiction,” he added.
Amy Winehouse died in July 2011 and the cause of death was found to be accidental alcohol poisoning.