Last Friday, 22 February 2013, the Philippine National Police (PNP) announced that the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), linked to al-Qaida militants, have released a Filipino hostage, but there is no word on the fate of the other six foreign captives of the group.
Fabella was kidnapped last month in Southern Zamboanga City this year. However, Sulu Provincial Police Chief Antonio Freyra says grocery store owner Edgar Fabella was released by the Abu Sayyaf members early Friday this month near the port of Jolo Island. Fabella said he was not harmed by his captors and denied paying for his freedom. I have no money to pay a ransom from the Abus, he said.
On the other hand, the militants are still holding a Jordanian journalist, a bird watcher each from Switzerland and Holland, a Malaysian, a Japanese treasure hunter and an ex-soldier from Australia. They have just released two who were working for the Jordanain early this month.
At least twenty two combatants were killed during the encounter when a Muslim rebel group that signed a peace accord with the gevernment battled the militans early this month in a bid to free the remaining hostages. The government in a join effort with the Local Government Unit were hoping that the remaining captives are safe in the custody of the Abus.