One of the hardest things to do in life is to apologize. Committing mistakes is part of life, but some people find it difficult to admit their wrongdoings or mistakes. If you cannot do it in person, then writing an apology letter can help in proving your sincerity. Below are the steps on writing an apology letter:
An advantage presented by writing a letter is that you can have all the time you need to properly phrase your letter. Using the right terms will help in making the perfect apology letter. It all boils down to the choice of words and how sincere you are to keep your friendship. You can take the time to reflect and really find the right expression to relay your apology. Here are some of the things that you should remember when writing an apology letter:
1. Make a formal address or call them by the name that they are known. Never use special names or pet names since they will find your apology letter insincere. It may even look like you are mocking the person.
2. State the circumstance as to what happened but do not go too much into the details or make any excuses. This will only make the other person angrier than they already are and will avoid any further misunderstanding between the two of you.
3. Tell the person you have offended that you are sorry and admit that you were wrong. Sometimes people are mad at you for reasons completely different from what you thought really made them mad. This will clear things up if ever it was merely a case of misunderstanding.
4. Explain why you did what you did, but never offer up a defense. Why you said what you said or why you decided to take that course of action? Did you think it was the right action at the time? If you were just wrong then just say it.
5. Be honest and make an assessment of how much the friendship really means to you. Tell them that you do not want to lose them as your friend.
6. End your letter with the promise that you would do anything to make it up to them and that you will never it happen again. Sign it and make sure that your friend gets the letter.
The matter of how to write an apology letter will not always be easy since it can be emotional, but if your goal is to keep the friendship and repair the relationship, then make the effort. Try not to appear phony or insincere and write the letter only if you really mean it, not because you feel forced to do it.