Eventually there were two miles of cars that were involved in the accident.
There was snow, difficult driving conditions and dense fog and at least 100 vehicles to have been involved.
Tomas Malmqvist says his ambulance was one of the first to come to the place. The situation was completely disorganized and chaotic.
- We see a complete chaos. Another ambulance was hit both front and rear. Several of the cars were very squeezed, says Malmquist.
He says that they started systematic action to prioritize who should have help.
We worked together and helped each other. The accident was so long drawn that the injured were transported far, he said.
Input Director Mikael kadanik was also one of the first to come forward.
- The visibility was only 10-15 meters. It was a war scenario. And while we were there just kept cars to slam into each other. We had to look and find a safe place to stand on, he said.
Malmquist said that it was very difficult to reach people, so they moved in both north and south.
He praises the cooperation between law enforcement, rescue and paramedics.
Rescue leader was overtaken
When the press conference was held on Tuesday afternoon, the rescue service people delay because they had trouble getting up.
When Helsingborgs rescue leader Jonas Hellsten spoke, he started by saying that both passenger cars and trucks drove past him on the slippery road conditions in the thick fog.
- I think it speaks its clear language about how we could experience such an accident. You drive too fast and are not familiar with such matters, said Hellsten.
- Accident cars accounted for almost two miles, in thirty years I have never seen a similar accident, he said.
Hospital Chief Lisbeth Cederwald at Helsingborg Lasarett said at a news conference Tuesday afternoon that there was a bus fast forward to the scene and that it was important, since it was so cold outside.
All the staff at the hospital were told to be at work, even though their working hours were over.
Deputy Hospital Manager Kjell Ivarsson confirms that there are three fatalities. None of them will be children.
- Eight injured are rushed to hospital in Helsingborg, none of them need surgery, said Ivarsson.