What you see above is the non-partisan Office of Management and Budget Chart showing Social Security and Medicare Spending Over Time.
These are not ENTITLEMENT programs, but they BECOME entitlements when, for example, Medicare payouts have risen 65% over four years....where pay-ins for participants are $100,000 and pay-outs (that the rest pay for) are $300,000. Far more down the line!
As both sides of the political spectrum are saying: Follow the MATH!
Medicare right now, needs reform.
Medicare as it is constituted today is unsustainable - meaning it will go broke paying out nothing because it CANNOT pay out what it doesn't have in reserve - or it will not be funded. Note that Congress has its own retirement plan - and congressment/senators are not dependent on Medicare. Or Social Security.
What does that mean? The politicians opposed to reform are concerned with one thing: votes and their hold on power. Not you!
Tomorrow Social Security will need reform.
One cannot remove $716,000,000,000 from an already insolvent Medicare ENTITLEMENT reserve on the backs of future generations that won't be able to pay, or will find the political means not to pay, and expect to resolve the problem.
Tonight you will see a vice presidential debate between one party that has taken out the aforementioned sum to fund another universal health care program 70% of the American People are against; and the other party that demands to set aside the very same $716 billion in a trust fund to fund Medicare so that, unlike what happened under Democrats to Social Security - see below, Medicare funds are kept SEPARATE from general funds that pay, for example, for highway construction and bailouts for Solyndra and GM.
Thus Medicare cannot be spent for anything other than...MEDICARE.
What a NOVEL idea!
1. The funds collected for social security become general reserves - as pursuant to changes in law, courtesy of the Democratic Party. Meaning there is no TRUST FUND
2. The payouts for social security are the government's property - not the employee's (or yours) - as pursuant to changes in law, courtesy of the Democratic Party
3. Social Security becomes a tax, from what was once an insurance program with trust provisions - as pursuant to changes in law, courtesy of the Democratic Party
4. Social Security taxes convey no contractual rights to Social Security benefits as of Dec 12, 1985 – as pursuant to changes in law, courtesy of the Democratic Party
5. The government, under law, is NOT obligated to pay out social security benefits to recipients - as pursuant to changes in law, courtesy of the Democratic Party
6. The government now taxes social security payouts - as pursuant to changes in law, courtesy of the Democratic Party
REF - click on BLUE links: