Taliban raided Prince Harry’s Afghan base; 2 killed
Linkedin

Taliban raided Prince Harry’s Afghan base; 2 killed

Čārīkār : Afghanistan | Sep 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
Prince Harry Safe in deadly attack on Camp Bastion

Taliban insurgents have attacked Prince Harry's Afghan base, killing two US Marines in a massive security breach.

US Army Major Adam Wojack said the attack on Camp Bastion in southern Helmand province, was started at 10.15pm on Friday and the base was cleared on Saturday morning

Prince Harry was never in danger, officials confirmed.

The head of the Afghan army Gen. Sayed Malook said a suicide bomber blew himself up, blasting a hole in the perimeter wall and allowing insurgents to storm inside with guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

As soon as they entered the base, fighting started. Afghan forces were not involved, they only helped to extinguish the fire, said General Malook. An aircraft hangar and a fuel reservoir were set afire and it took until dawn to put out the fire, he said.

Casualties

18 insurgents were killed - including the suicide bomber. Another was wounded and captured, said Major Wojack. They were in camouflage, he said.

2 US Marines were killed according to a defense official in Washington and some personnel were injured according to NATO's US-led ISAP.

Reasons for the attack

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi told AFP by telephone that the suicide attack on Camp Bastion was carried out by mujahideen fighters to avenge the insulting movie Innocense of Muslims. The film has reportedly incited a wave of anti-American uproar in Yemen, Libya, Sudan and protests in other countries.

The same Taliban spokesman above told the AP that they attacked that base because Prince Harry was also on it and so they can know our anger.

Britain says it doesn't plan to cut short Prince Harry's 4-month deployment. Prince Harry is a priority Taliban target. The Taliban vowed to kill Prince Harry, who is deployed as an Apache helicopter pilot and who celebrates his 28th birthday on Saturday.

A spokesman for the British Ministry of Defense said: "As we stated last week, the deployment of Captain Wales has been long planned and the threat to him and others around him thoroughly assessed," he said.

Talking of Prince Harry’s safety: "He was not in any danger," said Master Sergeant Bob Barko of ISAF.

Source: Two killed at Prince Harry's Afghan base

1 of 7
Next
Prince Harry
Prince Harry
nicanorr is based in Catbalogan, Eastern Visayas, Philippines, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report

Most Commented Reports



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.