Australia stops Afghan troops joint patrols fearing more green on blue attacks
Linkedin

Australia stops Afghan troops joint patrols fearing more green on blue attacks

Canberra : Australia | Sep 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 

Australian troops have halted any joint patrols with Afghan security forces. They believe that more “green on blue” attacks could be made in the wake of the US made anti-Islamic film ‘Innocence of Muslims’.

General John Allen, commander of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) had earlier directed all allied forces to end joint activities below battalion level. This comes after an upsurge in insider attacks on allied troops and widespread protests across the Middle East directed at western and in particular US diplomatic missions and businesses.

Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith said some partnered activities in Afghanistan would still go ahead. The kind that could continue would involve 500 troops or more. Any smaller operations would be looked at by regional commanders who would decide on an operation by operation basis if they should go ahead.

Smith told the Australian government that no joint patrols involving Australian troops below battalion (kandek) level had taken place so far this week. Mr Smith said that Australia was not “putting a timetable” on when other types of joint activities might resume but that talks were underway.

Smith said: "That will be an operational matter. In the meantime all commanders have been asked to review forces protection measures and to minimise risk against these so-called insider incidents."

Seven Australian soldiers have died in three attacks by rogue ANA soldiers, and on August 29 three were shot and killed in a single incident.

Christine Milne, the Australian Green Party leader, said Australian troops should be pulled out of Afghanistan completely. She claimed that there is no justification for them being there. She said that Australia had justified its troops being in Afhghanistan to ‘mentor’ Afghan troops until 2014 when they would take over the running of security in their own country themselves. Now she said it seems the Australian government says that it cannot trust the Afghan forces. Speaking to the press she said:

"It makes no sense - we need to bring our troops home as quickly and as safely as possible".

Chris Evans, Australian Senate leader, said the ISAF directive was temporary and didn't undermine the mission.

INVIGILATOR is based in Nottingham, England, United Kingdom, and is an Anchor for Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Aust halts joint ops with Afghan troops

      Sydney Morning Herald
    General John Allen directed all allied forces to suspend joint activities below kandak (battalion) level. It also follows a rise in insider attacks and a surge in violence and protests across the Middle East in response to the film, Innocence of...
  • Australian troops end joint patrols with Afghan soldiers

      United Press International
    Amid security concerns, Australian troops serving with the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan have ended joint patrols with the Afghan military. Australian Defense Minister Stephen Smith , while confirming that Australian troops...
  • Joint Afghan patrols suspended over attack fears

      The Age
    Afghan soldiers amid fears the anti-Islam film that sparked violence across the world could heighten the risk of insider attacks...Retired Major-General Jim Molan said last night the suspension should not over-hinder Australia's mission of training...
  • White House says Afghan timeline intact

      Channel NewsAsia
    Afghans after a spate of killings of Westerners by supposed local comrades will not slow a 2014 withdrawal timeline. Afghan forces with the changes and directives laid out by top brass in Afghanistan. "The transition that the president has laid out...
  • Have ‘green-on-blue' killings brought the Afghan campaign to a tragic halt?

      The Globe & Mail
    Story video French soldiers arrive at the scene of a suicide bombing, Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012 in Kabul, Afghanistan. Afghan soldiers they are training, has put the entire strategy of Afghanizing the conflict in question. Over the weekend, four...
  • After Insider Attacks, NATO Curbs Afghanistan Operations

      Epoch Times
    Afghan security forces after several so-called green on blue insider attacks killed foreign soldiers. The global protests were triggered by an anti-Islam video, but the head of the international coalition stressed the move is only temporary. Several...

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.