There are few things in American politics that show the inner workings of a Presidential Campaign than a Campaign that has started to realize they are in DEEP, DEEP TROUBLE.
It has become apparent that the Romney Campaign is slowly starting to become aware that they are VERY close to not being able to turn things around in time for their candidate to at make a good showing, let alone WIN.
And this slow meltdown is what is currently taking place behind the "not quite closed doors" of the, Presidential Campaign.
There are a few indicators that one can look for that indicates that desperation has taken over in ANY political campaign.
1. Leaks making their way to the media, while the campaign is still going on, where staffers and advisors begin to blame and point fingers at, each other for the problems happening in the campaign. The purpose for leaks like these are for a couple reasons. One is that some of the candidates advisors' are attempting to make sure that THEIR reputations' survive a bungling campaign. Another is to begin to put out the excuses and why they "REALLY" lost.
2. The candidate appears to be flailing and making statements that on their face are just an attempt to score political points, and not statements that attempts in ANY way, to AT LEAST appear presidential.
3. There starts to be a LOT of spontaneous events, or planned events are changed, at the last minute to a different kind of event, to respond to an error the candidate made, because his staff didn't realize it was a mistake.
4. Finally, the representatives of the candidate's own party begin to question the competence of the campaign, the candidate or the policies, or the lack of specifics, their candidate is proposing.
5. There appears to be a feeling by many advisors that they are being kept at a distance, and refused access to the candidate.
You see all the above currently happening in the Mitt Romney Campaign. And that's a bad sign.
In the last week or ten days, there have been a LOT of leaks about what or who is screwing up the "message" of the campaign and how "X" person is screwing up everything.
Mitt Romney, in recent days and weeks, appears to be willing to say ANYTHING, just to score political points, and his staff is unwilling to tell him NO. The staff has decided that standing up to Mitt is useless. So they let him make these types of statements without pointing out to Mitt how these statements WILL be viewed and interpreted by those whose votes he needs MOST to win.
Then there are the "spontaneous" or "repurposed" events that seem to be happening on a fairly regular basis in the Mitt Romney campaign. From his quickly called news conference where he doubled down on his un-presidential comment he made regarding an event that lead to the deaths of American Public Servants AND Veterans in Libya. Or the quickly called, 3 QUESTION, "news conference" so that Mitt could explain and respond to the statements he was "caught" making to a high donor gathering.
And as I am typing this MANY of the "go to" Republican defenders/pundits are saying things out loud, that are normally said behind those closed doors, if they are ever said at all, during a campaign.
Even the original speech writers retained to write Romney's RNC acceptance speech were not allowed to actually meet the candidate face to face.
There are more things to look for in a campaign that has gone from worried to desperate; those mentioned above are just a few. But the signs of discontent are there, laid bare, for the entire world to see.
HOW MITT ROMNEY DEALS WITH THE PROBLEMS INSIDE HIS CAMPAIGN, will most likely be the deciding factor in just how well HIS campaign does in November.
Right now it's not looking good for Mitt or the people running his campaign.