Colorado Springs, Colo. - El Paso County, Colo., health officials are urging anyone who has recently had contact with wild animals to contact the Public Health Department immediately. On Sept. 14, a wild rabbit was caught near St. Francis Medical Center/Hospital, east of Powers Boulevard.
Subsequent testing revealed that the animal was infected with bubonic plague.
Bubonic plague is, "a bacterial disease transmitted to humans by the bite of an infected flea. In humans, the symptoms are high fever, chills, headache, extreme fatigue and tender or swollen lymph glands," according to the El Paso County Public Health website.
Health officials believe that all of the people exposed to the animal have been identified and treated to prevent them from developing the disease.
There have been no reported cases of bubonic plague in El Paso county since 1991.
Recently, a 7-year-old girl from Pagosa Springs, Colo., which is about 250 miles southwest of Colorado Springs, became infected with the disease. She has since recovered.