32-year-old Chou Wan from China reportedly swallowed a 1.5 carat diamond worth $13,636 at a gem exhibition in Colombo, Sri Lanka. According to the exhibitor Suresh Wijekoon, Chou’s behaviour was suspicious at his stalls. When he came closer to Chou, he swallowed the diamond suddenly.
The police had arrested Chou and took him to the Colombo National hospital where an X-ray confirmed the diamond inside Chou’s body. The doctors are now trying to remove the diamond through surgery.
The incident took place at the Facets Sri Lanka 2012, the country’s largest annual gem and jewellary exhibition to attract local and foreign buyers.