The USC Trojans open their 2012 NCAA College Football campaign as surprising top team of the AP rankings while the presumptive No. 1 LSU had fallen to third and Alabama to second. Sure it's a nice welcome for a team being banned by the NCAA for two years. USA Today however ranked LSU on top, Alabama second and USC at third. My choice would have been Alabama on top but ESPN College Football ranking consented with the AP ranking which find no remorse about.
Although being top of the ranking doesn't mean USC Trojans has done anything as a team, but it's good to see PAC 12 top team is back on the national level after two years being banned in NCAA Bowl. Timely that senior quarterbackavoided the temptation glitters of the NFL draft as his the outright Heisman Trophy No.1 contender this season after and Griffin departed.
The highlights were second-ranked Crimson Tide and No. 8 Wolverines as the most hype game in week 1 while NCAA sanction-free USC Trojans hosted against Hawaii in Saturday night action.
College football scoreboard coverage continued Friday with another marque matchup between AP rank No. 21 Stanford who barely survived against San Jose State as Josh Nunes having a hard time to fill big shoes in replacing Andrew Luck. USC is still No.1 and to cap the top 25 ranking, is the No. 24 Boise St. losing to No. 13 Michigan St.
Here's the College Football power ranking top 25.
1.(1) USC 1-0
USC will face Syracuse on Week 2 Sep 8, in their last meeting on Sep 17, 2011, USC won 38-17. Matt Barkley is Heisman Trophy strong contender is seen no having problem with the Syracuse Orange on week 2 which lost to thrilling 42-41 against Northwestern.
Barkley kicked off his Heisman Trophy campaign passing 377 yards and four touchdowns in pounding Hawaii 49-10 Saturday. Lee caught 10 passes for 197 yards for the Trojans (1-0), whose offensive stars were every bit as impressive as expected in their first game since their two-year NCAA bowl ban ended.
2.(2) Alabama 1-0 Crimson Tide defense won't be as dominant as last year's stop unit, Alabama has seven new starters and with Coach Alabama mauled No. 8 Michigan 41-14 on hype opening kickoff Saturday. AJ McCarron threw two touchdown passes and Alabama's back and fully armed to defend its national title, sure will leapfrog USC in the rankings anytime soon. Alabama will play Western Kentucky on Week 2 on Sep 8, the two last meet Sep 13, 2008, which Alabama won 41-7. Western Kentucky routs Austin Peay 49-10 Saturday.rebuilds the team, Crimson Tide still one of the nation's best. True enough as
3.(3) LSU 1-0 Zach Mettenberger's long-awaited debut as LSU's starting quarterback finally comes throwing 19 of 26 for 192 yards, an interception and a touchdown against North Texas on Saturday. Mettenberger, who was briefly sidelined by a vicious sack but their running game took over yielding 316 yards, including 123 by Alfred Blue. In College Football Week 2 LSU will play Washington on Sep 8, the two last met Sep 2009 in LSU win 31-23.has seen season openers can be sloppy, even for elite teams but Washington won't be a threat as the Huskies holds off San Diego State in 21-12 win opener.
4.(5) Oregon 1-0 Rookie quarterback Marcus Mariota was impressive in his first start, proving he's worthy as a starter by passing 200 yards and three touchdowns in Oregon's season-opening 57-34 victory over Arkansas State. The Ducks minus LaMichael James has potent replacement of running back Kenjon Barner, and did it with Red Wolves which has 10-3 last season plus the of College Football senior quarterback Ryan Aplin. Oregon is cruising fast with all cylinder working as they face Fresno State for Week 2 on Sep 8. The two last meet Sep 2007 which Ducks won 52-21.
5.(4) Oklahoma 1-0 Although Oklahoma has lots of players come back for another 2012 season but seems the Sooners struggled in their opener against overmatched UTEP with just 10-7 lead after three quarters. Oklahoma quarterbackstruggled until a fake punt to set-up touchdown to Green as one of the two touchdown in the fourth quarter. Damien Williams ran 65 yards for another score in the fourth quarter, helping Oklahoma slog out a win.
Oklahoma will face Florida A&M, Sep 8, as AP writer points out the Oklahoma has plenty to shore up. I will Sooners one step back at fifth.
6.(6) Georgia 1-0 Georgia overcame a sloppy first half but Aaron Murray threw three touchdown passes to Freshman Todd Gurley who has eight carries for 100 yards beating Buffalo Bulls 45-23. Georgia Bulldog cannot afford for another sloppy start facing Missouri on week 2 nextweek. Week 2 Georgia at Missouri, Sep 8,
7.(7) Florida St. 1-0 Florida State overwhelms Murray State with rushing touchdowns as Lonnie Pryor accounted for three touchdowns, James Wilder Jr. has two, and Debrale Smiley finished with 106 rushing yards. Florida State will play Savannah State on Sep 8 nextweek.
8.(10) Arkansas 1-0 Tyler Wilson finished 19 of 27 passing for 367 yards and three touchdowns for Arkansas in beating Jacksonville State 49-24. Wilson also set the school record for yards passing in Saturday season opener who looks Heisman Trophy contender. Razorbacks will face Louisiana-Monroe on Week 2 next week. Their last meeting was way back Sep 11, 2010, which Arkansas won 31-7.
9.(11) West Virginia 1-0 Geno Smith threw for 323 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Mountaineers past Marshall 60-34. The Mountaineers will faceon Week 2 sets Sep 15, 2012,4:30 pm.
10. (13) Michigan St. 1-0 No. 13 Michigan St. beats deserves 3 thumbs up after beating strong at No. 24 Boise State Broncos 17-13 squeaker. The Spartans snapped Boise State six-game winning streak against BCS-conference teams. The Spartans will face Central Michigan on Week 2 nextweek Sep 8.
11.(9) South Carolina 1-0 South Carolina slips two thumbs down as Gamecocks fans somewhat upset with the ugly win as they expect a blowout granting the Associated Press ranked them at No. 9. They have their advantage big offensive line which they failed to utilized against the smaller Vanderbilt lineup. Lattimore comeback is fine but they can't rely him all the way because of his knee injury. Commodores has a winning drive but Gamecocks defensive back D.J. Swearinger appeared to grab Matthews' arm before the ball arrived in a pass from Rodgers that should have been called by the referee. Coach Steve Spurrier said starting quarterback Connor Shaw can barely lift his right arm and will miss the next few days of practice. Gamecocks will face East Carolina on Week 2 on Sep 8. Last time both met was Sep 3, 2011, with Gamecoack winning 56-37.
12.(12) Wisconsin 1-0 Montee Ball rushed for 120 yards and a touchdown, and Wisconsin needed a big defensive play to survive a fourth-quarter meltdown escaping Northern Iowa in 26-21 win. Wisconsin Badgers will face Oregon State on Week 2 nextweek Sep 8, their last meeting Badgers won 35-0 on Sep 10, 2011.
13.(8) Michigan 0-1 Quarterack Denard Robinson rushing game barely utilized when the most hype game against No.2 Alabama ended a 41-14 beat down. Somehow Robinson can build on that third quarter pass to Devin Gardner for 44 yard gain touchdown in order for them to compete on a high rated defensive unit. But the team will bounceback when rusher Fitzgerald Toussaint will be back in the game nextweek after serving one game suspension. Wolverines will meet Air Force on Week 2 next week.
14. Clemson 1-0 Andre Ellington rushed for 231 yards, DeAndre Hopkins set a school record with 13 receptions and Clemson opened the season with a 26-19 victory over Auburn in front of large crowd at Georgia Dome. Clemson will face Ball State on Week 2 on Sep 8.
15. Texas 1-0 Joe Bergeron and Malcolm Brown both rushed for more than 100 yards and combined for three touchdowns to lead Texas in beating Wyoming 37-17. The Longhorns will play against New Mexico on Week 2 Sep 8.
16. Virginia Tech 0-0 TBA
17. Nebraska 1-0 Taylor Martinez threw for a career-high 354 yards with five touchdown passes to lead Nebraska 49-20 win Southern Missisippi. The Huskers will play against UCLA on week 2 Sept 8 next week.
18. Ohio St. 1-0 Braxton Miller threw for two TD score, including the ESPN top play of Devin Smith's highlight-reel, one-handed catch, for the Buckeyes in 56-10 romp over Miami Ohio. The Buckeyes will face UCF on Week 2 at 12:00 pm Sep 8.
19. Oklahoma State 1-0 Freshman Wes Lunt completed all 11 of his passes as the new starting quarterback for Oklahoma State blank shoot out Savannah State 84-0. Cowboys rushers is on feast with Joseph Randle ran for 107 yards and two TDs on just six carries and Desmond Roland added 104 yards rushing, and Jeremy Smith ran for three scores. Oklahoma State will test Arizona on the road on Week 2 nextweek Sep 8. Their last meeting was Sep 8, 2011, in 37-14 win by Cowboys.
20. TCU 0-0 -- TBA
21. Stanford 1-0 With Andrew Luck out Stanford barely got sloppy win over San Jose State in 20-17 scare. Cardinals will keep their cool having losing four starters this season will face Duke on Week 2 Sep 8.
22. Kansas State 1-0 Collin Klein threw for 169 yards and two touchdowns, John Hubert ran 95 yards Kansas State beat Missouri State 51-9. Wildcats will play Miami Florida on Week 2 at 12:00 noon Sep 9. The two last Meeting was Sep 24, 2011, in 28-24 Kansas State win.
23. Florida 1-0 Mike Gillislee had a career-high 148 yards rushing and two touchdowns, helping Florida beating Bowling Green 27-14. Gators ext stop Week 2, Sep 8, 2012 against Texas A&M, 3:30 pm.
24.(25) Louisville 1-0 Louisville Cardinals set the tone for a 32-14 victory over rival Kentucky Wildcats. Teddy Bridgewater finished with 232 yards on 19-of-21 passing completion. Cardinals face Missouri State on Sep 8.
25.(24) Boise St. 0-1 Boise State Broncos having tough to swallow in losing Michigan State 13-17 that jeopardize their Bowl chances. They have chance to bounceback against Miami Ohio in Week 2 on Sep 15.
The 2012 College Football power ranking top 25 is brought by @richwebnews