The government on Thursday reiterated that that there’s an outstanding reward of P5.6 million (about $133,000) for the capture of two high-ranking leaders of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) responsible for the spate of violence in the country.
The government made the announcement after a series of violent incidents erupted anew in Mindanao islands in southern Philippines even as the peace process is going on.
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said the bounties are being offered by the government for the capture of Benito Tiamzon and Jorge Madlos, who were allegedly involved in the raid of a mining company last year.
Tiamzon is the leader of a faction of the CPP-NPA allegedly responsible for perpetrating violence against civilian populace in the countryside.
Madlos, on the other hand, is a notorious CPP-NPA member responsible for several high-profile attacks on key economic programs in Mindanao.
"He was involved in several significant kidnapping incidents as well as one of those charged for the high-profile incidents concerning the raid on the Taganito Mines," National Security Adviser Cesar Garcia said.
The Taganito Mining Corp. was one of the three mining firms that the leftist rebels attacked in Southern Philippine province of Surigao del Norte in a span of three hours in October last year.