The Syrian authorities have arrested a man suspected of organizing the security headquarters bombing in Damascus, which killed several high-ranking officials.
The suspect worked at the headquarters of national security, the Fars news agency said, quoting Syrian MP Mohammad Zahir Ghanoum as saying: "The officer who committed the attack against the Supreme Council of National Security was arrested."
"The arrested person was a member of the facility staff but I cannot give further details. The confessions of this person will probably be released in the near future," Ghanoum added. A source close to the Syrian security said last week that the bomber was a bodyguard assigned to protect members of the inner circle of President Bashar al-Assad. Syrian public television talked about a suicide bomber.
However, the attack that targeted the Syrian national security headquarters, killed the defense minister, the brother-in-law of President Bashar al-Assad, Syria's intelligence chief, the minister of the Interior and Gen. Hassan Turkmani.
Meanwhile, Syrian regime has appointed a new security council on Tuesday, which includes Gen. Ali Mamluk as the head of the bureau of national security; Gen. Deeb Zaytun as the head of the General Intelligence and Gen. Rustom Ghazali as chief of political security.
In related news, the UK daily newspaper The Telegraph reported that a former general in the Syrian chemical and biological weapons administration said that the Free Syrian Army is creating a special unit of men trained to secure Syria's chemical weapons sites.
"We have a group just to deal with chemical weapons. They are already trained to secure sites,” said Gen. Adnan Silou.
According to the report, there were two main stores (Warehouse 417 in east Damascus and Warehouse 419 in Homs area). For more details on this report, please check here.
In a related development, Al-Arabiya TV reported on Tuesday that the Syrian envoy to Cyprus, Lamia al-Hariri, has defected from the Assad regime.
According to Al Arabiya TV, Lamia al-Hariri has arrived in Qatar.
Furthermore, the Syrian Embassy in Nicosia is not commenting on this subject nor answering phone calls.
Based on the above, the Syrian regime is trying to appear strong by claiming the arrest of the responsible person for Damascus attack. For sure the regime will try to post videos showing the confession of the suspect. As usual, we do not know the fate of this person.
The strange thing is that the source of these news reports is Fars News which belongs to Iran instead of SANA news, which is Syrian.