The June 16 car bomb explosion’s victims get tired to take rounds around the offices of the political administration for seeking financial aid as compensation at Landikotal though the federal government has sufficient funds for the rehabilitation and support of the terror victims in the tribal regions.
Officials of Khyber Agency political administration said that they had submitted names of 17 local people killed in the blast to the office of secretary law and order at Fata Secretariat, but despite passage of one month relatives of the victims still awaited payment of compensation. They said that seven other people killed in the blast were Afghans who were not entitled to any compensation.
The office of Fata secretary law and order entertains compensation cases (applications) concerning terror victims on the basis of daily situation report ( DSR), submitted to it by political administration in any tribal agency. The cases are then sent to the ministry of SAFRON for release of the funds to the affected families.
“It is under process,” was a short reply of Mutahir Zeb, political agent Khyber Agency, when contacted for his comments about delay in compensation.
“The federal government has provided the ministry of SAFRON with enough money for payment to blast victims in Fata, but the local officials are unnecessarily delaying release of compensation,” said Malik Abdul Razaq whose nephew, 20, was killed in June 16 blast in Landi Kotal bazaar. He alleged that the local administration was not properly pursuing their applications.
Similar views were expressed by Sial Khan whose son Daud Khan, 21, was killed and his friend’s son Moalim Khan sustained critical injuries. Mr Daud had married just four months before his tragic death, while Mr Moalim’s marriage was to take place in last week of June. Mr Sial said that he made several rounds of the local administration offices, but could not get any assistance so far. My son Aamir had also been wounded in Landikotal blast who was later shifted to Peshawar HMC for his stomach major surgery because his stomach had been damaged with the ball barring of the explosion, but despite all official record my son name had not been included in the list for compensation, Bashir Ahmad regretted.
“The local administration paid us Rs50,000 on the second day of the blast, but the federal government or Fata secretariat is yet to respond to our repeated requests,” Sial Khan said while talking to a senior tribal media person.
Khalil Ahmad lost his father Qari Abdur Rahim and a teenage cousin Abdur Raziq in the blast. He said that his father owned a paint and hardware shop in Landi Kotal bazaar, which was also completely destroyed in the blast.
Mr Ahmad demanded of the authorities concerned to also compensate him and his family for monetary losses they incurred due to destruction of their shop.
Samad Khan, father of 17-year-old Muslim Khan, said that no amount, no matter how big could compensate for the tragic loss of his son. “However, we deserve to be compensated as the government itself has made it a policy,” he said while regretting that no government official had so far enquired about the bereaved families.
The ailing parliamentary leader of the Fata parliamentarians Munir Orakzai said that the federal ministry of SAFRON had sufficient funds at its disposal for distribution among the victims of terrorism in Fata. While talking to a tribal media person, he expressed his displeasure over the unnecessary delay in release of money to the victim families in Landi Kotal.