On May 30,2012, 130 houses were razed by a fire caused by a burning stove left unattended in Barangay Singkamas, Makati City, leaving 225 families homeless, including my family and me.
Four people in our neighborhood died as the flames engulfed their homes as suddenly as it started leaving no chance for them to escape through the narrow passage out to safer grounds.
The few who were injured were evacuated along with hundreds of other homeless victims to a nearby sports complex where the local government officials provided temporary shelter and immediate needs.
Thanks to our local Barangay council headed by Chairman Ramon Espena and the city’s Department of Social Welfare and Development for giving us food, water, blankets, mats, and financial support to help us rebuild our shattered lives.
For several weeks I’ve hesitated but finally decided to write you in earnest hope you would care to take a close look at my ‘metrics’ and see if I still have some money left in your account.
I’d appreciate it very much if you could send me the few amount I’m still due at times when I needed it most.
Very Truly Yours,