Overdose of ‘Travel Sickness’ tablets had strange effect on a seven-year-old girl; while on a school trip, the girl began hallucinating. Apparently taking as many as 7 tablets accidentally, Chelsie Toms not only went incoherent; she also vomited in front of her fellows, into her hands. Fellow students were terrified to see Chelsie talking to walls!
According to the details, on June 28, Chelsie and other Mount Street Primary School children were on a day out, at a beach. However, an incident nearly ruined their day-trip as Chelsie required hospitalization; after taking six ‘extra’ pills, instead of half-tablet at a time, a recommended dose.
When the victim’s mother Wendy Tom was notified about the incident, the 28-year-old frantically searched her daughter’s school bag first. She was shocked to see 7 tablets were missing from the box of pills she had handed over to a staff member; with special instructions. Completely distraught Wendy claimed she had told the staff member specifically ‘not to give Chelsie more than half a tablet’ for both; the outward journey and on return trip.
Subsequently, Chelsie had admitted that while she queued up to leave the school; she ate the tablets, considering them ‘sweets’ perhaps. Wendy said when she picked her daughter; Chelsie was kind of ‘Who am I’ or ‘Where am I’ so she immediately took her to a hospital. Following some tests and scans, the doctors at hospital had advised that Chelsie must stay there overnight.
After the incident, the girl was taken out of the school while a Cornwall and Devon police spokesman said the incident was being investigated.