An 11-year-old girl died on Wednesday after getting electrocuted at a mini golf course in Orlando and now officials are investigating the incident.
The young girl named Ashton Jojo, who belonged to upstate Latham, was vacationing with her parents and brother at the Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee, Florida.
According to the details, Jojo was trying to retrieve her ball from a small pond at the Orange Lake Resort when she got electrocuted. When she screamed in pain, another guest, Christopher Bruges, of Alabama, rushed to the pond to save her. However, in an attempt to save her, even he suffered injuries and sadly failed in his attempts.
After the incident, Jojo was rushed to the Celebration Hospital in Celebration, Fla., but she could not be saved and was pronounced dead at the hospital.
“It has been ruled an accident, but the cause was electrocution,” Shawn Thomas of the Orange-Osceola medical examiner’s office said, according to a report by nydailynews.com. “An autopsy is being conducted.”
The incident took place at around 2 p.m., when Jojo was playing golf at the mini course and her ball landed in a small 2-foot-deep pond. When she went inside the pond to get her ball, she got electrocuted. After the incident, the golf facility at the Orange Lake Resort was sealed and it will not open until investigations are complete.
The initial investigation shows that wrong electrical breakers were put into the mini golf water feature. It is being speculated that water may have entered the motor or electrical components and this caused the fatal charge.
The Orange Lake Resort released a statement after the incident. “Orange Lake Resort holds the safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern,” Stacey Sutherland, the spokesman for the resort, said.
“The miniature golf facility where the incident happened is closed and will not re-open until further notice. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time.”