Fever is one of the most common diseases. People of all age suffer from different ailments that cause fever at some stage. Due to the nature of this disease, people have found various home remedies that control fever. Some of them are given below:
· Drink a lot of water. When you are running temperature, the water leaves your body at a higher rate, which means you must drink more water to fulfill your body’s requirement. (Avoid drinking chilled water if you have throat problems.)
· Take a bath as it will cool down your body and maintain your body’s temperature. Washing your head and your face often helps reduce body temperature. However, if the weather is cold, avoid taking baths until advised otherwise.
· Apply a damp cloth to your forehead, neck and feet. Cotton is good for this purpose as it soaks water. Put the cloth over forehead or feet for around half a minute and allow it to dry. Remember, to squeeze out water before doing so. Also, change water every few minutes once it starts getting warm.
· Wear comfortable and light clothes and don’t go under the cover. If you are too covered, your body will heat up even more, which is a bad thing. In some fevers, such as malaria, one feels very cold and wants to go under the blanket. If such conditions are reported, take advice from the doctor.
· Take fever relievers such as Tylenol (Acetominophen), Motrin (Ibuprofen), Biogesic (Paracetamol). These medicines come in different doses and must be taken according to the age and severity. Read the guidelines carefully before doing so. Taking small doses is fine if the fever isn’t very extreme as they don’t seem to have any negative effects. However, if the temperature is extreme or you are allergic to such medicines, a doctor’s help is advised.
· Eat fruits and drink fresh juices. Pineapple and orange juice are very useful in fever as they have anti-inflammatory qualities and important vitamins. However, at very high temperature, vitamin-heavy meals are prohibited.
· Take angelica root and boil it in water. Allow the mixture to cool down and drink it three to four times a day. It helps bring fever down. Garlic with hot water is also another very useful home remedy that brings the fever down.
Remember, the remedy you use depends on the severity of the fever, the prevailing conditions and the reason for the fever. Not all remedies are applicable in every condition. It is highly recommended to consult a doctor before resorting to any of the remedies given above.