Last week, Americans read about the yoga event in New York City in which 14,000 New Yorkers participated in a group yoga practice in Times Square. It started at 7:30 a.m. and continued throughout the day until 8:30 p.m. Yoga is becoming one of the most sought-after experiences in America for seekers to incorporate a total mind and body experience.
Perhaps the best way to understand yoga’s popularity is to go right to the people who practice it. If you ask them why they practice, some of the more common replies you might hear are flexibility, increased energy, improved focus, reduction of the symptoms associated with stress and an overall sense of aligning the mind with the body in total connectedness. The fact is that yoga can have a rejuvenating effect on all systems of the body, including the circulatory, glandular, digestive, nervous, musculoskeletal, and reproductive and respiratory systems.
Yoga is a way of life
Yoga unites the mind, body and spirit and is an ancient 5,000 year old philosophy and practice. The meaning of spirituality in yoga is defined as experiencing energy. Spirit is not a form of ghost that we find haunting houses but the energy, the driving force, the motivation behind every action and experience in life. In this sense yoga is a way of life.
Yoga practice strives to unite the individual soul with the "greater soul" of the universe, traditionally through four main paths: karma (action), bhakti (devotion), jnana (wisdom) and raja or ashtanga (mental and physical control). Yoga classes are the traditional method for individuals to begin yoga practice with a teacher in a shared experience with others.
For the last four years the Wanderlust Festival has expanded on the concept of a “shared experience” and brought together in one location all the unifying aspects of yoga to one location for a festival of mind, body and spirit. It first began in Squaw Valley and has now grown to four locations around the United States. In California, we are fortunate to have it here at Squaw Valley from July 26-29 this year.
Wanderlust Festival, the one of a kind yoga and music festival set within some of nature’s most inspiring scenery, is ready to kick off the 2012 experience at breathtaking mountain ranges across the U.S. and Canada in just a few short days. Now in its fourth season, Wanderlust will kick off June 21-24 in Vermont at Stratton Mountain, will continue on to Wanderlust Colorado at Copper Mountain July 5-8, will return to its original Wanderlust California at Squaw Valley July 26-29 and will round out the summer at the first ever Wanderlust Whistler at Whistler Resort August 23-26.
“Wanderlust works to create an inspiring enclave for mindful community,” said festival co-founder, Jeff Krasno. “The variety of music, yoga and art create a modern-day renaissance that keeps people connected and excited about what they'll encounter each year."
Days spent at Wanderlust are filled with transformative yoga classes, political activism, meditative hikes, organic dining, inspiring lectures and a sense of community that lasts far beyond the long weekend. Attendees can create a truly unique choose-your-own adventure. A few things not to be missed:
- YOGA—in partnership with lucy activewear, practice with the world's top yoga talent, including Seane Corne, Shiva Rae, Eoin Finn, Rodney Yee, Baron Baptiste and more in the lucy® tent, rooting down with over ten styles of yoga from Vinyasa to Hatha and beyond. Didn’t bring your favorite apparel? Stop by the lucy booth for a selection of merchandise and activities.
- MUSIC - Nighttime performances from today's hottest artists including, Thievery Corporation, Michael Franti, Ziggy Marley and more electrify the nighttime sky.
- NATURE—Outdoor enthusiasts of all ages will delight in the full range of adventurous activities from explorative hikes with Timberland to paddleboarding, kayaking and more. Kids can enjoy the Wanderkind program, while the entire family can take advantage of the festival's very own campgrounds, the Wanderlands.
- FOOD & WINE— Daytime provides tasty vegetarian fare including complimentary Veggie Burger samples from the leader in refrigerated meat alternatives, Lightlife. In the evening, Diners dive into delicious Farm-to-Table Dinners, a high-end dining experience created with fresh, locally grown foods from each region, featuring sustainably grown Naked Grape wine and the festival's very own Wanderlust wine. After the sun goes down, wine lovers can also join in the WInederlust Wine Tastings, set to live music by Academy Award nominated Stephane Wrembel.
- GREENING-Working with Timberland, official greening partner of Wanderlust, 2012 promises to be the greenest year in Wanderlust history. Together the two will offer the Wanderbus, a bio-diesel bus service to and from Wanderlust Festival available to all attendees. Once onsite, the Timberland® Earthkeepers- a corps of dedicated greening volunteers - will fast-track the greening of the festival grounds. Toyota- a great community partner dedicated to supporting long-term sustainable projects - is also set to create an interactive experience for festival-goers.
- TALKS - Attendees will be inspired by the Speakeasy series, a lecture program featuring today's most mindful and spiritual thought leaders, likeand , best-selling authors Aron Ralston and Dr. Wayne Dyer, and many more.
- POLITICS— Partake in an open class lead by Off the Mat, Into the World (OTM), the official charity partner of Wanderlust Festival. Looking beyond the summer toward the election in November, OTM will encourage attendees to find their voice and take a stand, uniting the 20 million voices that comprise the nation's yoga community.
- NEWEST ATTRACTIONS- For the first time ever, Wanderlust will debut the Uncommons, a collection of imaginative talents like acroyoga, slacklining, and hula-hooping. Seeing the art in the everyday, the festival is also currently accepting submissions for the INSIDE OUT Project, an art installation created by French artist JR, emerging from his 2011 TEDPrize award. 2012 also introduces the Healing Sanctuary, with healing services lead by the world's top healers.
With festival dates quickly approaching, there's still a chance to plan an ultimate escape this summer at Wanderlust. For more information please visit: www.wanderlustfestival.com.
Wanderlust Festival, LLC is a producer of large-scale lifestyle festival events focusing on yoga, music and wellness. Its flagship festival, Wanderlust, was first launched in California in 2009 and has already become the largest multi-day yoga event in the world as well as a significant player in the larger U.S. festival market. The company was founded in 2009 as a joint venture between Velour Music Group, an artist management company and event producer based in New York City, C3 Presents and Starr Hill Presents, event producers responsible for the top music festival brands in the country, including Austin City Limits Festival, Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo and Outside Lands. For more information, please visit www.wanderlustfestival.com. Become a fan of Wanderlust at www.facebook.com/wanderlust and follow Wanderlust on Twitter at www.twitter.com/wanderlustfest.