An Israeli driver Sunday shot dead two Palestinians, including an elderly man, and injured a third in south of the occupied Hebron, according to security sources.
Anwar Abed Rabbo, 27, and Naeem al-Najjar, 79, were killed, and a third unidentified man injured when an Israeli driver opened fire at a group of Palestinian farmers were working on their land near Alsammouh town, witnesses and Palestinian medics reported..
The Palestinians' bodies were taken to a Palestinian hospital in Hebron via Red Crescent medical services.
After shooting the victims, the driver reportedly drove to the nearest checkpoint and reported the incident to the authorities, Ynet news reported.
Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said that two Palestinians were killed and a third was wounded during what appears to have been an attempted to kidnap a Jewish truck driver near Sousa settlement, occupied Hebron.
The Israeli truck driver, 52, resident of Ashkelon was sustained bruises to the back and the hands and had been apparently hit with a blunt instrument in the chest. He was treated in a Beersheva hospital, Rosenfeld added.
A senior army officer investigating the incident said that the Palestinians had likely tried to rob the truck driver. Large army forces arrived at the scene to examine whether the incident could have resulted in a kidnapping.
A spokesman for Palestinian security forces, Adnan al-Damiri, said he was aware of the deaths but did not have further details because the shooting took place in an Israeli-run area out of bounds to Palestinian police under interim peace deals.
Israeli forces prevented ambulances from accessing the scene, claiming that it was a closed military zone.
Around 800 illegal Jewish settlers live in Hebron's Old City among 30,000 Palestinians in the parts of the city that are under Israeli occupation since June 5, 1967 .