It’s actually pretty neat, getting to see what people grew up to do with their lives. Pretty neat. You know what else is neat? Peonies, and the fact that they are in season. Love them. Although, the ones I have been getting smell a little funky. As the weather starts to warm, and people start wearing less clothes (no more scarves L) we like to throw some light-ish delicious lunch situations at you, one of them being this falafel pita sandwich. The tzatziki sauce is delicious, and the pita pockets fit these little falafel dudes perfectly. Eat up.
Falafel Pita Sandwiches
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 yellow onion, diced and lightly sautéed
5 garlic cloves, minced and lightly sautéed
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 hothouse cucumber, grated
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste
2 whole pitas, cut in half
4 romaine leaves, thinly sliced
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
vegetable oil for frying
1. Fill a heavy bottom skillet with 1/2 inch oil and preheat to 350°F.
2. Place garbanzo beans, onion, garlic, cilantro, and parsley in a food processor and process until finely ground.
3. Scoop mixture into a mixing bowl and add remaining falafel ingredients and stir together until fully combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
4. For tzatziki: Place oil, vinegar, cumin, and garlic in a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Add yogurt and cucumber to the mixture, season with salt and pepper and continue to whisk together. Set aside.
5. Form 2 tablespoon sized patties with the falafel mixture and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip each patty and fry for an additional 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
6. To assemble: Smear the insides of each pita with a small amount of tzatziki and fill with 3 falafels, a small amount of lettuce and a sprinkle of diced tomatoes. Top with more tzatziki and serve.