Ronald Poppo, the homeless man left in critical condition 17 days ago in a bloody attack by the so-called Causeway Cannibal, knows that at least half his face was chewed off and that he may have been permanently blinded, his doctors said Tuesday.
Doctors talked about their famous patient's condition on Tuesday for the first time since paramedics brought him from the MacArthur Causeway, where a crazed, naked man, Rudy Eugene, chewed off at least half of his face.
Skin has been grafted over his left eye, which had been gouged out by Rudy Eugene. The other eye is patched up with a band-aid. It is not certain whether he will regain his eyesight on the right eye. Doctors have hailed his recovery as miraculous.
The hospital released new photos of the victim. (Warning: graphic pictures.)
In the new photos Poppo's face appears somewhat normal. He is even sporting a salt-and-pepper mustache.But from his forehead down to that mustache,a gauze bandage covers his now-empty left eye socket, and a flap of his own skin protects what’s left of a damaged right eyeballand his nose a mass of disfigured cartilage and bits of skin.
In short, Poppo no longer has a face.
A fund set up by the Jackson Memorial Foundation to help Poppo with his medical costs has raised about $15,000. He is also expected to qualify for Medicaid and Medicare, hospital officials said.