A magnitude 5.8 earthquake has shaken northern Italy and Italian media say it has killed at least six people Italian news agency ADN Kronos reported on Tuesday.
It hit the same region where a stronger temblor measuring 6.0 earlier this month, forcing the collapse of several buildings already weakened .
The news agency LaPresse reported thatat least six people died and another five were buried under the rubble of collapsed homes and factories. Italian media also said a tower in San Felice sul Panaro had collapsed.
The US Geological Survey said the quake hit at 7.00am (local time) 40 kilometres north-north-west of Bologna at a depth of 9.6 kilometres ,not far from where the magnitude 6 earthquake struck just over a week ago.
Television footage on Sky News 24 showed evacuees from the previous quake peering out of shaking tents in disbelief.
A series of aftershocks has hit central Italy in the past few days in the same area, where thousands of people are still out of home as new shakes were expected and many buildings have collapsed or damaged.