Report by JENIFERLAMUG
The latest shelling in war-torn Syria had resulted in at least 90 casualties and many among the dead were children after Syrian government troop reportedly attacked the town of Houla in Homs province on Friday.
An activist told Reuters that Syrian forces first opened fire on an opposition protest in Houla following Muslim prayers, where heavy weapons were used. Reportedly, some victims were hit by heavy artillery while some entire families were massacred. Of the death toll reported, at least 25 of those killed were children.
The huge casualties are considered one of the highest so far since the brokered international ceasefire came in effect six weeks ago by envoy Kofi Annan. Although the UN secretary- general, Ban Ki-moon said in his latest statement that there had been some progress in reducing violence, it seems that the crisis in Syria is getting worst.
In his letter to the UN Security Council, Ban said there had been regular violence and a “massive violation of human rights,” according to the guardian.
Reports also suggest that a team of UN observers arrived in Houla on Saturday after being urged by the opposition Syrian National Council to address the violence.