A disaster struck at the Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday,when a fire broke out in the garage of the winning team right after the team took celebration photos outside the garage.
Thirty-one people were injured and seven hospitalized after a fire erupted inside Formula One team Williams' garage after team driver Pastor Maldonado won the Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday and was celeberating the victory with the team mates.
Team founder and principal Sir Frank Williams,had celebrated his 70th birthday at the circuit on Saturday. in a wheelchair, was pushed hurriedly from the garage to safety as thick, acrid smoke billowed over the paddock.
The area was full, not only with Williams staff but members of the majority of the 12 teams in Formula One.
An electrical fault with the fuel rig is believed to be the cause of a fire that rapidly engulfed the garage, sending team members, photographers and cameramen running for safety at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya.
There was an explosion and within seconds, clouds of black smoke were seen billowing above the paddock and track.
Even after the fire had been put out, by mechanics and other team personnel, a cloud of acrid smoke hung over the paddock and those who approached the area were forced into a choking retreat.
One person was airlifted to hospital with severe burn wounds while five more were treated at local hospital for smoke inhalation.
Maldonado joined the rescue and carried his 12-year-old cousin Manuel, whose broken right foot was in a protective casing, out of the garage on his shoulders.