Islamist group claims the responsibility for deadly Syria bombings on Thursday
Linkedin

Islamist group claims the responsibility for deadly Syria bombings on Thursday

Damascus : Syria | May 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
Syria-Aleppo-Martyrdom a child -Killing by security forces and the army - Part 341

A video posted online in the name of a militant group late Friday claimed responsibility for the deadliest attack since the beginning of Syria’s fourteen-month uprising that killed at least 55 people and and wounded 372 on Thursday.

In the video, a group calling itself the Al-Nusra Front claimed Thursday's twin car bomb attacks through statements posted on militant websites in response to attacks on residential areas by the regime of President Bashar Assad.

"We tell the regime: Stop your massacres of Sunni people or you will bear the sins of the Alawites. What is coming will be more disastrous. We ask Sunnis to avoid any security force branches or other dens of the regime or face the consequences," a distorted voice says, reading black text that rolls across a white screen while Islamic chanting plays in the background, AP news reported.

The video could not be independently verified as the video was not posted on commonly-used Islamist or al-Qaida sites.

However, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the US intelligence indicates "an al-Qaida presence in Syria and involved in Thursday's attacks," but the extent of its activity was unclear.

For his part, James Kleber, director of national intelligence, conveyed that the attacks which targeted Damascus and Aleppo over the past four months represent the type of acts by al-Qaida. According to him, extremists, particularly militants of al-Qaida in Iraq, may have penetrated the Syrian opposition groups.

A U.S. official said: "We are increasingly concerned that such attacks are beyond the control of the Syrian opposition...and that other groups are involved."

In another development, SANA news agency said: “A suicide bomber was killed when the security forces intercepted a stolen booby-trapped minibus that was laden with 1,200kg of explosives which he attempted to blow up in the densely-populated al-Shaar neighborhood in Aleppo city.

Also Friday, Syrian state TV said that an explosion took place next to the headquarters of the Syrian ruling party in the city of Aleppo. There were no reports of physical injuries or damage.

At the same time, the repression of the popular protest movement against the regime of Bashar al-Assad continues. Eight civilians were killed Saturday by regime forces in the regions of Hama, Idleb and Deir ez-Zor.

In addition, soldiers clashed with dissident in the regions of Idleb, Deraa and Homs. Elsewhere, the troops bombed a village in the region of Homs, killing seven people, while explosions could be heard in the province of Idleb, where the troops were firing rockets.

On Saturday, Turkey's state news agency Anatolian reported that the two Turkish journalists who were held in Syria for two months have been released and were being flown to Tehran as a result of Iranian mediation.

Source: http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/05/12/213614.html

1 of 36
Next
Syrian security inspect the site of an explosion in Syria's northern city of Aleppo
Syrian security inspect the site of an explosion in Syria's northern city of Aleppo
saleh1966 is based in Gaza, Ġazzah, Palestine, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Militant group claims deadly Syrian blasts: Video

      Daily News & Analysis
    A little-known militant group claimed responsibility in a video posted online on Saturday for the twin bombing in Syria's capital that killed at least 55 people earlier in the week. The video was narrated by a man whose voice was garbled to disguise...
  • Syria says bomb attack foiled

      United Press International
    Syrians gathering at the site of twin suicide bomber blasts in Damascus on May 10, 2012. Security forces say they have foiled another car bomb attack in the city of Aleppo. Syria, May 11 (UPI) -- Syrian security forces Friday foiled an attempted car...
  • Militants claim deadly Syria bombings in video

      The Daily Star
    A video posted online in the name of a shadowy militant group late Friday claimed responsibility for twin suicide bombings in the Syrian capital this week that killed 55 people. In the video, a group calling itself the Al-Nusra Front says the bombing...
  • Islamist group claims deadly Damascus bombings

      NOW Lebanon
    Al-Nusra Front, an Islamist group unknown before the Syrian revolt, released a video on Saturday claiming responsibility for twin suicide bombings in Damascus that killed 55 people. The video says the Thursday bombings, the deadliest since the...
  • Syria says thwarts 1,200 kg car bomb in Aleppo

      Al Sharq Al Awsat
    Syrian forces foiled an attempted suicide car bombing with 1,200 kg (2,640 pounds) of explosives in the northern city of Aleppo on Friday, state television said, a day after two bombs in the capital Damascus killed at least 55 people. The would-be...
  • World Briefing | Middle East: Syria: Suicide Bomber Foiled In Aleppo, News ...

      The New York Times
    A Suicide Bomber Is Foiled in Aleppo, the State News Agency Says Published: May 12, 2012 Security forces in Aleppo killed a suicide bomber driving a stolen minibus crammed with five large canisters of explosives before he could detonate them, the...

Blogs

 >

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Related People

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.