U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Herve Ladsous told reporters on Tuesday that the U.N. cease-fire monitoring mission in Syria will be fully deployed towards the end of May as the number would increase to 50 unarmed military observers by the end of the week.
Syrian government forces have kept heavy weapons in cities, and both the government and opposition have committed violations of a U.N.-brokered ceasefire, Ladsous added.
The number of observers is to increase to 100 within a month, before reaching 300, as set out in resolution 2043 adopted unanimously a week ago by the UN Security Council.
According to official SANA news agency, thirty of unarmed military observers have so far been dispatched by the U.N. to Syria to monitor a cease-fire officially since April 12 , two observers are based in Idleb, and six others in Deraa (south) and nine in Hama and Homs (center).
On the ground, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that 12 people were killed overnight by Syrian security forces. Nine of the dead killed in the shelling by the Syrian army on villages in region of Idleb.
In Damascus, the Coordinating Committees reported about shooting in the Abbasids court, Baghdad Street and Jobar.
Syrian activists told Al-arabiya TV, rebels killed 12 soldiers on Tuesday, in a battle in the northeastern province of Deir al-Zor.
Syrian activists also loaded to the internet pictures of a car which exploded in the neighborhood of Ashrafieh in Aleppo. The activists said that a number of dead and wounded were caused by the blast. Casualties could not be independently confirmed.
According to Amnesty International, the death toll has reached at least 362, since the first team of observers arrived in Syria on April 12.