Skooter reporting 04/28/12
Fast-food giant KFC has been ordered by the Supreme Court of the state of New South Wales to compensate $8.3m (£5.1m) to the family of an Australian girl who suffered brain damaged after being poisoned by a chicken meal. The court last week ruled that KFC had breached its duty of care to the girl.
In 2005, Monika Samaan fell ill with salmonella poisoning after eating a "Twister" wrap at a KFC restaurant near Sydney. The poisoning incident left her tied to a wheelchair and speechless.
The court decision made KFC "deeply disappointed" and would appeal.
While George Vlahakis, the family's lawyer said they were pleased by the decision.
KFC, which is owned by Yum! Brands, insisted that the evidence did not show it caused girl’s disability and indicated that it will appeal.
For six months Monika was in a coma, the court was told. After sharing the “Twister Wrap” she, her parents and brothers fell ill with vomiting and diarrhea, the AAP news agency reports. The other family members all recovered.
The court was also told by the family's lawyer that at busy times, the restaurant would recycle chicken that had been dropped on the floor.